[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Antibiotic for cyano???

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Antibiotic for cyano???

I know there are TONS of methods to get rid of this stuff but I was wondering what the "fish antibiotic" Sir Patrick has recommended for killing off this bad bacteria was called. Thanks!
    Heidi

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

myacin (or erythromycin).

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

he mentioned red slime remover.

ill be following along with this if anyone has any other options cause im dealing with the same crap heidi as you know.

i might be venturing out to pet connection tomorrow to get some red slime remover... this crap is just insane.

im dosing vodka, running gfo, feed once a day only enough to where they all get some and there are no left overs... so i've reached the point where i have to add something else to help.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've used myacin with no problems. It works on gram negative bacteria. Most of the good bacteria in our reefs is gram positive...so they remain unharmed.

You should plan a big water change and run carbon afterwards. You will also need to turn off your skimmer for awhile because it will go nuts.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Heidi if your talking about *red slim algae* I used ChemiClean. Works wonderfully. 2 days and it's gone!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Russ- back off the carbon source, while any bacterial nusance stuff is bothering your tank. You might be dosing too much if this is a reocuring issue. Vodka will feed it.

I was refering to this stuff, as Jimsflies mentioned-

Maracyn

I have used it many times, and as long as O2 levels dont get out of wack, I have had no issues. Plenty of water surface agitation, and a properly adjusted protein skimmer, to handle the very wet skim it will produce will help. I always combine this dose w/ a brief 2 day lights out too.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I know there are TONS of methods to get rid of this stuff but I was wondering what the "fish antibiotic" Sir Patrick has recommended for killing off this bad bacteria was called. Thanks!
    Heidi
    Do you have any pictures of the cyano? Just wondering how bad it is.

The.Maxi.Man - Reefkeeper CR Member

It doesn't matter if you treat it, you need to fix the problem first.

What are your phosphates at?

In my opinion it is a terrible idea to dose drugs instead of fixing the problem. It will take a very long time to get the antibiotic out of your tank once it is in. In the end it is just a bandaid for the bullethole which is nutrients. Quick fixes are never a good replacement for sound husbandry.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Ok, ok, settle down everybody I am just looking for ways to "help" with the problem at hand. Yes nutrients are an issue for my tank since I stopped dosing. Phosphates hover around .4ish. I have started back up dosing vodka along with MB7 and am about 5 days into it. I have also made it a big point to stop feeding my fish every time I go in the room... they are getting one feeding now of pellets a day and nori one time a week and rods one time a week. I have stopped feeding the coral for now. It is not my make up water as it is rodi that still has only 1 tds when fresh. I wanted to know about this kinda as a "last" resort method. I can not do another lights out on my system for a long time as my coral and everything else is looking NOT happy. So 5 days in to vodka and MB7 (only at 2.5 ml vodka) and there seemed to be less cyano today.... maybe its just my imagination. I am just happy for my gravel vacuum.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last