[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Base Rock

Bookmark and Share

Default Base Rock

I want to add some base rock to my tank, and then put live rock on top of it. I just want the base rock stuff as a filler of sorts. The problem is, I dont know where to get any of this stuff.

Could I go to like a fountain/pond supply place and buy some of the rock they sell? Im talkin like softball size or so, not substrate material.

I would of course soak it and rinse/wash everything off I could. I just dont wanna pay the $8 a pound these people in Lex want for their "live rock". It basically lo0ks like dead/filler rock, nothing like the stuf I used to get in FL.

Is this feasible or will it kill/poison everything in my tank?

Tanks in advance.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

http://www.reeferrocks.com/

Here is a place to buy some base rock. I know several other CR members have bought from them and been pleased.

if you have a larger chain pet store in your area or near by alot of them sell dead rock s base rock its still porous but dried most stores around me sell it for 1 to 3 bucks a lbs and i have picked up nice dried tonga and figi rocks in the past... some of the smaller stores also offer these sales

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Another name to look for is called Tufa Chips rock, at least thats what they call it around here, it's so porous you can littterally pour water through it, the surface area is tremendous, and very quickly becomes 'live'. Very lightweight and cheap, sells for about $1.50 a pound. We've get a couple hundred pounds of it now,
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.