[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Basics

Bookmark and Share

Question Basics

Not sure that I posted this in the right place! But, I have a question. To start a basic FOWLR tank; with option of maybe having coral later; what would be the basic things I need to start a tank. Each book or site I read says something different. I know I need sand, live rock, salt, heaters, skimmer, water pumps, eventually good lights and filters. What else would you recommend. Like I said haven't started my tank yet; just trying to read up on this; but 3,4,5 different sources say different things; so its got me a little confused.
    Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    Stacey

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I would say the equipment listed would be about right. I would put a sump in to have it there for later plus it never hurts to have one anyways.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

stacey im new too if you dont mined go to forums then go to the diy and look at ..55 gal from the start iv never had salt, alway did thou i figure i dont want to have to redo something. so do it right the first time . imo ... if you deside to run a sump it will add to the total volume of water and hide all the ugle stuff ,heaters ,return pumps, skimmer ect..
    :: hummer :nemo

I don't understand how you can do all that out of a sump? Like heat, skim, etc.

Easy you just mount that equipment in the sump. use the search feature here and type in sump you will find more than you will ever need to know.

Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well, you've just experienced one of the most confusing parts of this hobby.... There is ALWAYS more than one way to get it done, successfully. Your way may be different than Joe's and mine's something totally different.

That equipment list is pretty good. For a FOWLR tank, you've got a few options.. Live sand and LR (live rock) are both very good for your biological filtration. A skimmer is also VERY good, and IMO, nearly a must.

If you're plan on having Tangs, I'd say look into keeping a UV sterlizier on hand to battle Ich as Tangs are prone to it.

Lighting... Fish don't really care. Corals DO!

Heaters... use two that are rated slightly below your tank size. This way, if one gets stuck on, it doesn't fry your tank. And if one fails to come on, your creatures don't freeze.

Pumps/water flow... You wanna keep your water in your display stirred up to prevent your deterius (fish waste) from settling. Corals are much more demanding when it comes to flow than fish. However, fish do need a current to swim (exercise) against.

Flow can be achived in a LARGE variety of ways... powerheads, closed loop manifold, return manifold (from the sump).

Refugeium - IMO its a must for anyone keeping fish. It allows you a low-flow, lighted place for your macro algae, and pods to grow and thrive.

Sump - A huge advantage of a sump is the fact that it gives you an over-all larger volume of water. Which is, in turn, more forgiving to tank changes. This also gives you a hidden place to put all of your things that you don't really want your tank viewers to see... your heaters, skimmer, pumps, etc.. Sumps are usually kept inside the stand, under the display tank. A refuge can also be incorporated into a sump, as well...

Salt - your choice here as to which brand. My only sugguestion is to buy the big bucket of it... You'll save money this way in the long run.

LR - Calculate in about 1-1.5 pounds per gallon.

LS - First, decide which depth you want to go with. Then you can calculate how much you'll need. There are pro's and cons of each type of sand. More detail on this later for you.

There are alot more things to consider. But this should help get ya goin...

Decisions that you need to make befoer you buy anything:

- Budget... Take what you plan on spending and roughly double it... That will be more accurate... Not gonna lie, this can get expensive.
    - What fish do you want to keep?
    - Do you plan on keeping corals down the road, keeping the same fish in with the corals?
    - Do you want incorporate a sump/refuge in your setup.
    - Do you want to have powerheads in your display tank?

Feel free to ask any and all questions...

First of all please read this article before purchasing a UV sterilizer they are not all they are cracked up to be and if you do a search you will find that most people do not notice a difference when using them to battle ich. Their usage and following for ich eradication is fading. They may however help in an extreme case or in desperation. Also I am getting ready to release the first section of an article I am writing to target beginning saltwater keepers. It will be in the article/reference section.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it very much!

Stacey