[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Battery Backup / UPS

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Battery Backup / UPS

Alright I know a generator is the way to go, but its useless if know is home to switch it over, living with the parents after graduating gives me the luxury of them having one. But i would atleast like the piece of mind for a couple power heads and maybe a return pump hooked up to a UPC.

Does anyone know how to calculate how much time of battery use you get off of something.

Say the UPC provides 900watts of power, how much time to you get with something that is drawing 6 watts? for a Koralia Powerhead.

sorry about the post in the reef discussion, as there is no thread that really fits this question in the equipment area.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Here is one I sold a while back. You could connect any size battery to it.

Tripp Lite automatic power inverter APS-512

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Here is one I sold a while back. You could connect any size battery to it.

Tripp Lite automatic power inverter APS-512
    i was more or less looking at how much time you get from when the power goes out, that the powerhead can survive on the battery alone.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Tagging along on this one. Something I've thought of in the past as an affordable means to oxygenate the tank in a power outage.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

You need to figure out the total wattage (Volts x Amps = Watts) of all of the loads you want to support. This will tell you the size of inverter charger you need.

Then take the wattage you calculate and divide it by 110 then multiply it by the number of hours you want the setup to run. This is how big of a battery you will need in amp-hrs.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 06-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Its a UPS not a UPC. Battery backup time is calculated differently from each manufacturer and each different type of battery. Run time is always going to be different on what type of load is induced on the system. Is it a capacitive load, or an inductive load. Example- fluorescent lights are inductive load's with very poor power factors, that is why we install capacitor banks inline / before the lighting panels themselves to correct the power factor, so you don't slam the system, etc etc etc, wiping out your UPS system in 1 minute, or have a diming effect when a lot of power is being turned on.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

yea i meant UPS :-( shoulda known that one lol.

the only thing that i would care to be on backup is a power head or two. atleast keep the water moving.

First Name
    Bill

Throw 1 Koralia nano 250 head in there rippling the top of the water off a small computer UPS, does not draw much power, and should be better than nothing I would assume.

First Name
    Bill

EMUreef- Here are some pics of a UPS that I am currently installing. Its on a large commercial building, but you will get the idea. Hope you like the pics. Hope it doesn't bore you .

Back up power is 4- Caterpillar 480 volt 1500 amp generators that run a 480v / 6000amp Bus system to power the entire building. The paralleled UPS system is made up of 3 MGE UPS modules, each module has 1 string of batteries. Each string has 240 cells. each cell has 2.2vdc, and each battery weighs roughly 500lbs. So each string puts out 535 volts on average. With all 3 modules running, we can support roughly 300 amps at 480v for approx. 24 minutes. We should never need this amount of time as long as each generator starts and ramps up to 1800 rpm's within 7 seconds.
    downsize 4 - Battery Backup / UPS
    downsize 3 - Battery Backup / UPS
    downsize 1 - Battery Backup / UPS
    downsize - Battery Backup / UPS

medwards - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Ok spill the beans, whos fish room is that for!!??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last