[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

blue green bactera

Bookmark and Share

Default blue green bactera

OK, I'm just curious if anyone has the same problem when i said blue green, can also be called (red slime allege)i do very good maintenance because its also my part time job at the ft worth zoo to maintain small tanks but i cant seem to keep the slime out of my tank,lights are lease then 3 months old so that's not a problem and all water perimeters are in check but ill tell ya anyway nitrate are at o nitrites are the same ammonia o phosphates 0 calcium 420 alkalinity is fine salinity is at 1.024 also yes i have protein skimmer and a sump i have not had any problems with animals or corals staying alive this time my additives are calcium ,iodine ,reef solutions,byoplankton ,stability when water is going to be introduced all are dosed as directions are told insept the reef solutions is for when mag gets low also i have timed lighting system on tank 9 hours on and off actinic 10hours on and off dusk dawn effect happen in .circulation i have four power heads on timers for changing currents that's about it o temperature is at 79 degrees if anything else i forgot make a list and ill answer.also im not into the slime out stuff or any band aid type of solutions. p.s I'm trying to get to the root of problem not just solve for a couple of weeks yea know p.s iv had two biol come over and run test and the only answer we can come up with is that the crushed coral must have some type of crap in it when bought i know sand is better.can someone shead some light on the subject p.s going to try some Kent marine osmo prep to see if that will solve my problem.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Phosphate tests are only semi-good... just because it reads no phosphates, doesn't mean there not any. Phosphate bonds with calcium ions (not testable in water column) which is why the cyano tends to coat the SB, LR, and coral skeletons(all of a calcarious base). IMO, syphon the cyano from where it is coating during a waterchange so as not to allow it bachk into the water column, but also not to disturb the sandbed over a 1/2". Good luck.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

thanks ,you always learn something new everyday so really the only thing to do is to siphon ,and watch water parameter's right ,i guess i will see what this slime out stuff can do maybe it can aid my tanks return ,to healthy living thanks once again

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Filtered don't no whit you have for flow but iv fond low flow can contribute
    to cyano and real good flow can be a lot of help getting it under control
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7