[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bobbit on the Brain !?!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Default Bobbit on the Brain !?!

Thanks to a recent ID post I found out that what I thought was just a "Big Weird" bristle worm is in fact a Bobbit worm. So after a long weekend with a red lens the Good News is that I think I found the little SOB's cave.

Now here's the Bad News.
    121250 - Bobbit on the Brain !?!

121318 - Bobbit on the Brain !?!

$*%#!
    121407 - Bobbit on the Brain !?!

FML it's in my beautiful +6" Lobo and I have no idea how it get it out without hurting the coral.
    Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the worm but keep the Lobo?

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Take the Lobo out of the tank and put it in a separate container for a day or two. Throw an extra piece of live rock with lots of nice holes in there and see if he moves in a day or two. If he doesn't, take the Lobo to someone with a saw. Lobos are real easy to frag. You may wind up with two nice Lobo pieces and one less Bobbitt worm. Best to do it now before it moves or turns into a much bigger problem, literally and figuratively.

break the rock open with a screwdriver and a hammer

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Try the separate container with another piece of rock, and leave a nice trail of food.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

yeah I agree with taking it to the saw, im seeing an awful lot of these bobbit worms show up lately. makes me happy I started with dry rock
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

That's a tough spot.

Would a freshwater dip help?

First Name
    Pat

Thanks for the input everyone,

Here's my plan of attack.
    1) Coral Dip
    2) Place the coral in a buck with tank water, heater, and another piece of rock with a lot of holes for a few days. Leave a trail of food in there and hope he switched caves.
    3) FW Dip
    4) Hold it over a bucket of water and repeatedly jam a sharp object in to its cave until it comes out.
    5) Scream really loud insults at it.
    6) Find some one with a frag saw who is nice enough to let me use it.
    7) Feed the Brain to some Poor underprivileged Zombies

As you can see right after plan #3 I start running out of "Good" ideas; #6 seem like it's going the most effective method but least preferred due to the fact that I have no access or experience with a fag saw.
    Last edited by Badfish; 02-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

This may sound strange but....I noticed when I was treating my tank with Flat Worm Exit I double dosed the tank and inadvertently killed many many of my bristle worms. What's strange about this is it was only the larger worms that were affected. They came crawling out of the rock like crazy and within 20 min of treatment I had pulled 20 dead or dying worms from the tank.....it's an idea
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

None of that will work.... Sorry. First they never completely leave their lair. They stretch themselves through several rocks. If he is in there then take out the rock, fill a turkey baster with boiling water and squirt it in the hole. If he is in there he will come out. My guess is it is just a through hole. Their lairs are usually bigger and full of frags. When I finally got to mine's lair I filled two big jars with coral frags. Look carefully, they build tunnels to connect the rocks. They are like silk mixed with sand and coral pieces.

I really believe many many tanks have them in them and just don't know it yet. People who lose fish, can't seem to get their corals to grow probably have bobbits.

First Name
    Pat

Bobbit 2 Badfish 0

Ahhgg.... the Beast escaped my clutches! He wasn't in there (luckily I was able to tell before I took the Lobo to the saw), AND he picked off a Peppermint shrimp yesterday.

I guess I better I had better dig in for a long fightarmy11 - Bobbit on the Brain !?!, looking like a few more sleepless nights in which to get my Capt. Ahab on.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last