[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Brown Algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    dberrong - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Brown Algae

I need some help. I've had my 90g tank for around 9 months. I have about 15 pounds of live rock and about 85 pounds of base rock. The tank floor is some sort of crushed up shells around 5 inches thick, but not live sand. I had a huge brown algae problem when I first started the tank and I cut back on the lights and it pretty much went away. I just upgraded my lights to power compacts 2x65w 10K and 2x65w blue. The algae has started again. I clean the glass at least every other day to get the brown stuff off the glass and what little rock that has coraline algae has turned brown too. I just added a brain coral, green star polyp, and 2 anemones. My fish are two blue damsels, Yellow tang, blue hippo tang, foxface, clown, and a hawk fish. I have two shrimp, 1 snail, and 1 spikey starfish. I do not have a skimmer, but it sounds like I need one from reading posts on here.
    I want to run my lights because I want the purple algae to spead all of the rock, but all I'm getting is brown. I'm using purple up, but I'm not seeing any results. Does anyone have a clue how to stop the brown and accelerate the purple???? I'm new to the Forum and I look forward to learning lots from more experienced reefers.

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

it sounds like diatoms, basically you are re-cycling, maybe...
    also the crushed shells in place fo sand concerns me. if it is too large a substrate (sand) you can develop lots of problems, basically a ses pool. could you please post some pictures of your tank? how long are you running your lights? definately get a skimmer.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

Currently I'm running the lights around 10 to 11 hours. I don't have a timer, but I sense that I need one. I'll try to get some pix to post tomorrow. I'm still learning what all these things do. I'm not certain what the skimmer will do for my tank, but everyone says get one. I was told that the algae will grow and grow and then one day just go away. I'm not sure whether to trust that or what I should do. How do I get the good stuff to grow?
    Can you tell me the benefits of a sump? what does that do? Sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode from all this new information.
    thanks for helping me out.

Here is what you need to know about sumps:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

A protein skimmer removes DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) from the water before they can break down.

You should use a gravel vac to siphon the detritus out of the crushed coral every couple of months. I had that substrate in my 29g, and it pulled out some foul stuff every time. I just siphoned what I could reach, and occasionally I would get very aggressive and move LR and corals to siphon out more areas of substrate normally not accessible.

A timer is key. They aren't expensive, and lock in a light schedule.

You can also run fresh carbon in a canister filter or Phosban Reactor to remove organics from the water, helping clarify the water significantly.

Try to feed only enough, but not too much. If you see food in the tank 5 mins after you dosed the tank, it is too much food. I feed heavily, but have the equipment to compensate for that habit.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

I think that a sump is over my head right now from reading your website. It was good information though. I think my best bet is to get my lights set to a timer. Any suggestions on the timing of the lights? I've read to run the 10K for 8 hours, the blue 10 hours (one hr. before and one after the 10K) and the moon lights to my liking. Does this sound like a good idea?
    I will be getting a protein skimmer too. Ebay has some Jebo skimmers for around $60 that fit up to 180 gallons. Will this skimmer be sufficient for my needs?
    Another question about algae. I have a conk shell that I got snorkeling in Mexico that is about 12" in length that was covered in the purple algae, but is now getting covered in a green algae that forms in circles with whiteish rings on the outside. Is this good or bad algae? I will get pix posted before the day is out.
    Thanks for all the help.

A protein skimmer is probably the most important part of your system. I recommend Aqua C, Euro-Reef or ASM skimmers. Since you don't have a sump, an Aqua C Remora Pro protein skimmer would be a good choice. I used one on my 29g for years, and the tank looked great. Here's an old picture of that tank, which has since been taken down. The Pro is rated for 125g.

29g 051804 900 - Brown Algae

To combat algae growth in your tank, you need a clean up crew. Snails, hermits, and an emerald crab are all good additions.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

I have added a pump just to increase the current flow in the tank. Is there such a thing as too much current? I'm reading that this water flow is helpful for the LR.
    I'm looking into the protein skimmer. I'll be getting one at the end of the month.

Some corals don't like too much flow, such as LPS (Frogspawn, Goniopora, Torch, Hammer). SPS love it, as long as they aren't being blasted so that tissue is peeling off the skeleton.

Pointing the nozzles in various directions can create random flow without harming livestock. It's almost an art getting it just right.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

I've tried to post some pictures, so I hope this works. I'm also going to put my tank in a gallery if I can figure out how to do it. One pic. is simply on my aquarium as a whole. One picture is of my Conk shell that you can see the purple algae that once covered it is now getting covered in the green algae. The last pic. is a side view where you can see the Brown film growing on the back glass. I've decided that I simply do not have enough LR to seed the base rock that fills my tank. I'm open for suggestions.

Why can't I upload pix in the gallery? It says my image is too large even when I crop them down to three by five. How do I get the pix smaller to put in my gallery?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last