[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Brown Algae/Diatom Help

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Brown Algae/Diatom Help

I was free and clear from my initial diatom bloom for awhile, but it came back over 2 weeks ago, and it's still present.

Last time, my CuC did a fine job in eliminating it, this time I'm not sure if the algae has gotten too long for them, or what the deal is, but it doesn't seem to be going away. I know that these can take time to go away, as well. But my initial one did not last this long, and I'd really like to be rid of it.

My Nitrates/Phosphates/Nitrites/Ammonia are all at 0 or undetectable. Alk is 9.0, Calcium 420, Mag 1500, Salinity 1.025.

My skimmer is working good, and I have a PhosBan reactor running carbon through it as well.

I don't think I am overfeeding my tank, a pinch or two of New Life Spectrum to feed the couple fish I have in my tank, my shrimps, and keep the snails & hermits happy and that's it.

I am using RO/DI water, and my TDS meter is reading 0 on usable water everytime I run it, and I am checking.

The tank is near two windows that are not covered; that is soon to be rectified, but that cannot be the only contributor, I'm thinking?

Is there anyway to help the process, here, besides what I am doing? I've read more recently some people will use a toothbrush to brush the algae off the rock. But, that's not going to really solve my problem if I don't figure out why the algae continues to bloom and propogate.

Any insight or help here would be greatly appreciated.

CR Member

I will try to get a pic up tomorrow. http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/ws.../separator.gif

Up until yesterday, the only fish I had in the tank were a pair of small clowns. I now also have 3 Bartlett's Anthias.

My skimmer is a Reef Octopus NWB 150. I ordered a better skimmer -- but that's a long story that I'm not going into. This one is pulling decent skimmate though, and it shouldn't be a problem for my 125 right now, I wouldn't think.

Presently I am dosing phytoplankton every other day, at about 1/2 what the bottle recommends.

I am also dosing Seachem's Fuel, at about 1/2-2/3 what the bottle recommends for amino acids/vitamins.

And, about every 4 days, I am using a very small portion of Reef Paradise frozen blend to feed the LPS; and what the LPS doesn't take in is grabbed by either the fish, the shrimp (I have a cleaner and a pistol) or the narcissus snails or hermit crabs.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Phyto and fuel are both really unneeded in your tank, right now especially, and up until yesterday you were overfeeding IMO with an OK skimmer (could be worse anyway). Phyto and fuel if used improperly are super easy to overdose in a tank, and will easily cause the problems you are seeing. Unless you are running biopellets or vodka/carbon dosing you really are putting alot more waste into the system then needed.
    This is a very true statement IMHO. There is a very large misconception that phyto plankton is a preferred food source for coral. Feeding your coral is a good thing but should be done in moderation because they are consuming needed nutrients from your water column. I use very little phyto. I prefer the most common food source consumed in the ocean. Zoo plankton and add lipids but only on a once weekly bassis. I feed zoo plankton three times a week.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    This is a very true statement IMHO. There is a very large misconception that phyto plankton is a preferred food source for coral. Feeding your coral is a good thing but should be done in moderation because they are consuming needed nutrients from your water column. I use very little phyto. I prefer the most common food source consumed in the ocean. Zoo plankton and add lipids but only on a once weekly bassis. I feed zoo plankton three times a week.
    I was/am aware phytoplankton isn't feeding my corals. I was dosing it to help establish my amphipod population, though I guess I can hold off on that.

The reason I was dosing fuel is for health/color/growth for my LPS, but I can hold off on that awhile, too.

Yeah, I'm aware I don't have the best skimmer. It isn't what I ordered - or what I paid for. But, there are so many skimmers on the market, I wasn't aware of the fact until it was too late, and the place I ordered it from and paid for it through had closed down. So right now, I have to deal with it until I can get some other things paid for. I intend to upgrade to the Super Reef Octopus XP-2000. I really wish I had built my stand bigger ... I'm fairly limited now in what kind of skimmer I can put in, really can't have anything total over 23" high, or I won't be able to get the cup off.

CR Member

That plan is in the works, to put some macro in the sump. I'm going to get a light and figure out how to mount it and put it on a timer so it's on opposite my Radions - hopefully I can do that tomorrow, and see if I can't get some chaeto from someone. I know that'll help solve the problem of algae in the DT, too, in time.

But yes, I want a successful, thriving tank. And I also want to figure out what I am doing (or have done) wrong, so mistakes don't occur again. I'm fully aware I'll run into others, but I love learning in this hobby, and while I might stress about it a little, I'm really having fun; even through the trials (like this one), because in the end it's just going to make me more successful once I do get through it. I'll lay off the phyto & the AA, completely, and see how it does in a week or so.

And, trust me, Chris, I'm very much enjoying my tank.

Thanks again for the advice/help.

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

I agree - A $10 light from HD and a handful of Caulerpa from RP and you are in business. I got the smallest diameter light at HD I could find to help keep the light directed just at my algae. I am cutting large hand fulls out every month. It grows like crazy under 24/7 light. It is also teaming with pods. I shake it into the tank before I throw away to get some of the pods. I have a Spotted Mandarin and a few Wrasses that go nuts when I do.

I like Caulerpa VS Chaeto because it doesn't need to tumble but you want to keep it lighted 24/7. IMO