[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bryopsis Algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Bryopsis Algae

Here's what I've come up with on how to get rid of it. First, do not scrape, pull, nor try and rub it off. It's a deep rooted type algae and will only grow back, ten fold! There are no known fish that will eat Bryopsis. A few may graze on the newer shoots but again it will only grow back thicker. This is what I've found on ways to get rid of it completely.

1. Trendy Magnesium Solution

Some reports of a Bryopsis bloom mysteriously correct themselves over time and in fact, may disappear altogether where water quality is kept in good standing. This may go a ways in understanding why some people are insisting in the latest trend of elevating the levels of magnesium from the normal range (1,280 ppm) to 1,500 – 1,600 ppm. Most aquarists who have tried this method feel it is the fastest and least detrimental way to correct the dilemma. The theory behind this is that the magnesium stops the photosynthetic processes in the Bryopsis, but does this without affecting other desirable macros and life in the reef. There are some, though, that suspect the elevated levels of magnesium can kill desirable invertebrates, so as with most things in reef keeping, slow is best. Also, ask yourself, would you rather chance losing some snails or some corals?

2. The pH Solution

A similar method to try is while aggressively protein skimming, elevate your pH to a steady 8.5 for three weeks. It would seem that low ph/alkalinity ratios seem to aggravate an outbreak.

3. Nudibranch

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...004/invert.htm
    Last edited by MizTanks; 10-20-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

good info...

kinda reminds me of chest hair.... dont shave it or it grows back 10 fold
    fulltankshot 1 - Bryopsis Algae

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

LMBO!! Except without all the cracks en crevises!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Nice write up.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

And as always try to limit as best as possible the introduction of phosphates. When I first set up my tank it was with regular tap water. Only because I wasn't patient enough for my Ro unit. Byropsis exploded. Two 20% water changes syphoning off the byropsis with manual pulling eliminated the byropsis for me! I also ran a phosphate pad in the mechanical filter for two weeks as well. No mag bump no pH bump.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Also it is believed not to be the magnesium in most cases it is thought to be some unknown ingredient in Kent Tech-M (ask jimsflies ). Using the bulk reef supply Mg many have dumped in gallons and scene no results. If trying the Mg elevated method (which i actually like) be sure to use tech-m.
    Anyone can grow Zoa's and LPS I have some in my sump.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
    Also it is believed not to be the magnesium in most cases it is thought to be some unknown ingredient in Kent Tech-M (ask jimsflies ). Using the bulk reef supply Mg many have dumped in gallons and scene no results. If trying the Mg elevated method (which i actually like) be sure to use tech-m.
    Shoot thought I added that in my post. Thanks for making that a point Speed.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I just talked with one of my reefing buddies who just finished with tech M after about 10 days of dosing 100 ml, for a total of 1700 ppm. He said it's all gone. I plan to start tomorrow or Thursday.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

bryopsys aka demon grass

I have had a major battle with it and can show pics to prove it apon request

what I did to win the battle was as follows
    #1 increas mg by 100ppm per day to 1800+ I had mine well over 22k
    #2 remove all rock from tank and burn bryopsys off with propane torch
    #3 take the siphone and scrape the glass and suck all signs of bryopsys out of the sand and tank

#4 if you have any frags that are covered attempt to trim enough polyps off to save the coral and toss the rest

also I used epsom salt for my mag increasing
    Last edited by tazzy695; 10-20-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added info

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Yupppers, I'm using Tech M! As for all the scraping, pulling, burning and whatever else, I think I'll just stick with the measure an squirt method. :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last