[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bryopsis - Magnesium - GFO discussion

Bookmark and Share
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2 3 4 5 Last
    bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

i been useing phos ban and carbon with great success
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

First Name
    Bill

was told every 2 weeks till the phos are under contral then once a month
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin

First Name
    Bill

@jimsflies : everything is looking good now i add 100 grams a week ago
    Steve Irwin

First Name
    Bill

@jimsflies : not a fan of reactors eather
    Steve Irwin

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

I prefer a biological fix myself, but I ended up with the Tech-M solution.

See my older post on the bryopsis treatment HERE
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - Bryopsis - Magnesium - GFO discussion

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

we also fight this issue just in the frag tank.I added a filter just for the frag tank and switched to tech m and it made a huge diffrence.I personally believe gfo is best ran in a reactor.It's important to keep the media fluidized to allow better contact time.If it turns to dust or cement it is used up.The duration of how long it last's depends on grain size and how turbulant it tumbles.I preffer the high capacity from BRS.Cost more but you can see the diffrence by testing.Allot of people make the mistake of rinseing gfo before putting into the sock or reactor.All manufactors instructions I've read recomend not doing this.So back to the reason why algae seams to thrieve in frag tanks?? The only sensable answer I can arrive to is that frag tanks do not have the same eco support system that our display tanks have.In our display tanks we have lots of live rock that helps with Po4 ,No2 and N03 control. Also most of us have a sand bed that contributes to the health of the water coulmn and allows the tiny critters a safe place to hide wich in return they eat excess waste food helping to control such things as algae.This of course is just my opinon but seams to make sense.This hit me last time I went to the trop.The vats they have are basicly just huge frag tanks with one exception.They have a huge amount of rock under the racks.I am planning to toss my cheato and add a second BK skimmer and plan to put some of the rock from the fuge into the frag tank to see if it makes diffrence.If your test kit only reads to 1400 just refill the syringe and continue tell the color change and add the findings to the 1400. I'll let you know if this rock idea makes a diffrence.Good luck

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

If I am going to hang a filter sock full of GFO in my tank - do I want it to be in a high flow area? Does it work best with lots of water flowing across it?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    If I am going to hang a filter sock full of GFO in my tank - do I want it to be in a high flow area? Does it work best with lots of water flowing across it?
    I would put in it an area with water flowing accross

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I hang my gfo in a high flow spot in the second compartment of my biocube. The first compartment has the heater and apex probes, it overflows into the second...I have the filter sock hung right there so that water flows over it into compartment #2. Having it in this spot also quiets the water flowing over that overflow a little bit.

I also should add that I mix GFO and carbon in the filter sock about 50/50. The total volume is close to the diameter of a baseball. I feel the carbon helps keep the gfo from turning into a rock...although it is less of an issue with filter socks than it is with a reactors.

CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff R.Solution
    Awards Photo of the Month - Emerald Eyes Photo of the Month Contest

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Allot of people make the mistake of rinseing gfo before putting into the sock or reactor.All manufactors instructions I've read recomend not doing this.
    the media should always be rinsed before adding it to your system. the dust created during the shipping process will be released into the system, absorb small amounts of phosphates, settle into the tank, and as the phosphate level lowers, they will be released back into the system from the dust particles.

this is from BRS..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...O-Instructions
    [imglink]http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/sig.php?n=flynnstone[/imglink]

Page 4 of 5 First ... 2 3 4 5 Last