[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cal issues!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Cal issues!

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've been dosing Kents Parts A&B at 2ml each. Everyday!

Monday I did WC 1g with an sg of 1.025. My cal tested at 440, yahoo cause I haven't been able to get it up above 380 in forever. Kh 10

This morning I did a 1g WC with an sg of 1.025. Tested and my cal is 380 again. Remember I've been dosing everyday since Monday at 2ml each. Kh is 10 and has pretty much remained there.

Now, I have noticed coraline popping up everywhere, mostly on the LR. Do I need to raise the doses from 2ml to 4ml of both or just the cal to 4ml and leave the alk at 2ml.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

i'll try to help you..my tank stays a constant 430.. i do a 5 gal water change every week and dose calcium ( cant remember which one as i dumped it into a pump bottle that give me 5 ml's a pump) i use 3 pumps every other day unless i reach a maxium of 60ml a week. Coral line is good for your tank.. If your coral line is growing then its out competeing your other bad algae..380 is getting down there..it needs to be brought up to at least 400.what coral do you have in there again..anything with a skeleton will use calcium.. hammers, acans, favia, just a few of what will use calcium. i Hope that helped

Rick

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

MizT, I wouldn't get too alarmed about your calcium dropping as you don't keep many species that need a ton other than your rocks and coraline. But I maybe mistaken.

I would suggest testing your mag levels and get them rock solid first then your Alk and Calcium will balance out nicely. That has been my most recent experience with my tank param issues. And that is what Sir P, and Beaker suggested. Once I got my mag where it needed to be it was easy to maintain the alk and calc levels. Plus a slightly elevated mag will help combat byrosis if you have any.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I just got a small frag of favia the other day~other then that all softies~Yup I did notice a raise in my cal when I was dosing 8ml of mag a day while trying to combat bryopsis~I stopped dosing mag and my cal dropped~I can't find a mag test around here~LFS doesn't sell em~one reason I stopped dosing with it.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Shhh, don't want to get the param police sent on me...............but I only test cal, alk and mag these days.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Rick

i wouldnt worry about it to much..whatch that favia..it will tell you if its unhappy..but try to keep it around 400..i was thinking i read something about people having bio cubes having an issue with keeping their calcium levels up somewhere but i cant remember where it was as it was a long time ago and im getting old...lol.. Rob is right if you can find one get a mag test kit and test for that..i dont dose mag because of the big water change i do, that and i cant find a test kit either and im afraid to dose it.

Rick

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I sounds like dosing Mg is the solution. When dosing Mg your Ca was up and when you stopped it dropped.

As for not having a test kit for it... I wouldn't worry about it. Mg can be kept at very high levels and not cause any harm to desirable inhabitants (think bryopsis killing). Therefore, it is my opinion that you can use it and not test for it. The reason everyone says "if you can't test it don't dose it" is for things like iodine where too much is toxic.

First Name
    Rick

ok i think i will start dosing mg..i would really like to know what my lrvels are though

Rick

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I agree, it is good to check once and awhile just to know where you sit with various water parameters. One option that may be available is having your LFS check your Mg. The one near me provides free water testing services.

Just saw the Mg test kit thread... makes this post not too helpful.
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 11-20-2009 at 02:41 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Jacob

What's your water changing schedule, and what brand of salt are you using?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last