[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Calling anyone who has bought a tank from: Glasscages or GreatLakes

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Question Calling anyone who has bought a tank from: Glasscages or GreatLakes

So now that I had started looking for a larger tank I have decided that I am very picky. There was one used tank I was very interested in however that deal doesn't seem to be panning out so I have decided to build. I want to stay under a grand on the tank and stand. Here are 2 places I have been looking into. GreatLakes Aquariums and Glass Cages. They have what I am looking for and they are in my price range Great lakes seems to be less expensive but I am not sure because they dont have a build calculator online. We are going for a 100+ cube glass, and may also invest in the star glass if the price is right. So fill up this tread w/ some vendor experiences please! If there is another company that you have used that is in this price range and you loved let me know that too!
    Thanks Friends!
    Heidi

korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

I got my tank from great lakes and im very happy with it. its 48W"x30"Dx12"T
    Diddy Polyp Pimp

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

I also got my tank from GL, it's 48x24x22 110 gallons. I've had it for over 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. Steve and Brad are easy to talk to and are always willing to help with any problems you might have. They also have a good warranty on their tanks if you buy one of their stands.

henry hill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Im sure if you hold out and keep checking the seller forum you will find a great deal on a used one and save a ton of $.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

for that kind of $$ you can get a very nice tank,great lakes does nice work too.Might want to call Tom at the Ypsilanti fish doctors.He gets great prices on glass and acrylic tanks

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

So the thing is I want a cube tank, but cut off so its over 25 but under 30 inches deep. Some dimensions I have seen and loved are 36x30x26 or close to that. There is a used one I want but the guy wont budge on price and I don't wanna pay more then 900$ for a used tank when I can just get a new one for about that. So it is mostly the pickiness that is stopping me from saving money on a used tank. SOO if anyone knows anyone who wants to sell they 100g+ cube tank for a reasonable used price let me know. Also if I build I get to put the holes where I want them and pick out my whole set up. A lot of people want you to buy the whole shebang with their tank and I have a very personalized system in mind.

HappyCoral - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Christian

One thing to consider is. The taller the tank gets the thicker the glass. You can make some really big jumps by adding a couple inches of height.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would cut it to 24" tall, Im 6'2" with monkey arms and I find my 180g at 24" tall a PITA to reach to the bottom. Accessibility has its upside.
    Likes HappyCoral liked this post

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

i bought a used glasscages 180 gallon. it is built like a tank. taking it down to the basement was very difficult. i don't think it will ever come back up, at least in one piece. heavier than any other tank i have ever moved, all the edges are doubled with another piece of 3 inch glass. except the vertical corners that is.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Bought from greatlakes. There was a flaw in the glass (not their fault) but they fixed it with no issues. Stored the tank while I was figuring out some personal stuff. I say keep the money local and go with them. Steve and his son are good guys. I don't endorse just anyone. I researched like crazy before I got my tank from them. They are as good as their word and then some.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last