[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cleaning Aquafuge?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Cleaning Aquafuge?

I have a HOB Aquafuge. No sock used for filtration. Which means my fuge is loaded with detritus, and I mean loaded. Causing cyno in the fuge big time, again. I want/need to clean out the debris but how can I do this without removing the majority of my pods?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

BUMP!! Anyone?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    goodluck lol
    Thanks for the help. Not!! Lol I know I'm asking for a miracle but what better place to come looking

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

I don't have a hang on the back but I have kind of the same problem. I don't use filter socks in my sump. What I've done is take the hose off my siphon and just use the hose to clean it up. I then let the water settle in the bucket. Once it had I netted as many of the pods I could see and put them back.

Bluwinghawk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

maybe this will help not real sure on ? they sale screening net for 5 gal paint buckets at HD and leows can you vacum everything you want into that than let settle and scoop

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

If it was me I would siphon about half the water out of the fuge.. It will capture allot of them. Of course this is after you break the tanks siphon to the fuge. Save that water! Clean the rest of the fuge out with a shop vac and get rid of the cyno and detritus then put the saved water back in. The pods will do the rest in time. Your tank holds allot of them and they will find their way to the fuge also. Why do you not use a sock Jamie ?? They are a great way to harvest unwanted waste partials ! :

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Is there substrate in there? If not, then pull the algae and 1/2 the water and save in a bucket. Then take the fuge off of the tank and wash it in the sink. No matter what you do you will lose some pods, but as already stated they will repopulate. If there's substrate that will make things a little more complicated... when you take the fuge off of the tank you'll need to either throwout the sand and replace it or try washing/rinsing it with SW (using tank water from the WC you just did).

HTH,
    Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

@binford4000 Don't know how I'd get a sock on this? Your seeing the intake, which is almost flush against the fuge wall, with about an inch and a half clearance from the bottom.
    5a4a3ehu - Cleaning Aquafuge?
    @Tom@HaslettMI
    There is a 2" SB. Looks like I got a job ahead of me.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Wow that's tight ! Could you use panty hose ??

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    cyano is only in the fuge right?

How long has the sand been in there that your considering disturbing? And subsequently, are you prepared to be risking a mini-cycle on the tank in doing so?

If you put a filter sock/ panty hose on there, are you prepared to clean it daily?
    Boy aren't you full of questions-lol. Yes, 2yrs, No and No