[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CONFLICT OVER REFUGIUMS

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default CONFLICT OVER REFUGIUMS

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I understand and fully subscribe to the idea of a refuge in the sump to act as a filter and provide a safe area for small fauna to live and breed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It seems that most everybody uses a pump to return the refuge water back to the main tank. My problem with this is that pump technology as it is today kills the small fauna that get sucked into the return line. Hence, dead "food" is pushed bak into the main tank where it is either eaten or rots.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the refuge was elevated to free-flow into the main tank it would produce bubbles, which I think of as bad for reefs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no first-hand experience either way since I am still planning my upcoming leap into reefing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Someone clarify this conflict for me. Thanks all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

your return pump should be seperated or 'baffled' from the refugium, this keeps a minimum amount of pods and fauna being sucked in through the return pump. and you do not want snails in your refugium because you run the risk of one getting caught in your return pump plugging and overflowing . you can also do the HOB fuge but they are so small and for a large tank they just dont make sense. and you also increase your over all total water volume. I think almost everyone would agree the under the cabinet sump/fuge is the best way to go. unless you have to option to do something bigger like a rubbermaid sump. I hope this helped.
    fulltankshot 1 - CONFLICT OVER REFUGIUMS

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Flounder. That helps a little, but I thought one of the pros of implementing a refuge was a self-sustaining food source for the main tank. What am I missing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

no that is one of the reason is a haven for your pods to grow and flourish. some other benefits:

hide all of your equipment such as skimmer, heater, pumps,
    increase water volume.
    a place to dose the tank

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I was wrong about the food source. The pods don't get exported to the main tank? Is their purpose in the refuge just to clean?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as a food source for the tank, should you manually remove some pods from the sump and place in tank, or could you keep an area "safe" inside the main tank (kinda like using one of those breeder cages for guppies)?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

oh no pods will find a way into the tank. the baffles just kind of keep them semi seperated and eliminates microbubbles from getting into the tank. but pods will find their way to the return pump and get shot into the main tank. but they are so small they run a small risk of dying in this process.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for clarifying this for me. As far as an in-tank refuge, is it worth trying, or just a waste of space?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

not sure what you mean by an in-tank refuge????

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was thinking of isolating a corner with screening or light diffuser grating to keep predators out and allow small critters that are preyed upon to breed and flourish in the tank. Just a thought.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

how big is your tank you are wanting a refuge for??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last