[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Consideration: a fish-free tank?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Consideration: a fish-free tank?

Happy Friday to all!

I'll be setting up my 12g nano in the office this weekend. I want it to be a low maintenance setup, with minimal need for water changes, tank scraping, algae issues, and so on.

One of the ideas kicking around in my head to help me get to that goal was making this a fish-free tank! I'd have corals, a RBTA, and maybe a starfish too. Without fish, I don't have to worry about bio load, and I will have less food-induced waste, minimizing the water change and nitrate issues.

Open to any thoughts, experiences, feedback and opinions!!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

litttlelondyn - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Londyn

If you're looking to make money off of Frags, many of us have tanks without fish.
    Now, now, now...a Diva is a female version of a HUSTLA.

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Seen some really nice invert setups so go for it maybe get a sexy shrimp or crab for the rbta aswell. Post some pictures when your up n running.
    Big Steve

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

anemone will add some good waste to the system but really thats the only thing i believe that will make you do a little more frequent waterchanges
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Fish free tanks can be pretty cool! I have found that without fish, the focus becomes what is moving in the tank, and to non reef keepers, it can be pretty facinating. Great idea for an office tank.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

My desktop Nano is currently fish and invert free. Aside from everyone entering my office asking "where are the fish", I'm really enjoying the tank. A few observations...

• I travel a lot. No fish makes maintenance easier.
    • Although corals still produce waste, no fish means a much lower bio-load making maintaining water parameters simpler in a small tank (I do feed the corals weekly to make up for the lack of fish detritus.)
    • Feeding is much easer as you don't have to use strategies to keep shrimp from stealing food.
    • Things stay where you put them - No snail, shrimp or fish to move things around - even if they are not glued down.

In my case, my dense coral stocking still requires frequent water changes to maintain levels and I've not decided yet if I will eventually add a Nem and a pair of picassos, but for the time being - I find it refreshing, focusing just on the coral.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Thx all! The feedback is appreciated.

So CSQ: in your weekly coral feeding, what's your food of choice?
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    Thx all! The feedback is appreciated.

So CSQ: in your weekly coral feeding, what's your food of choice?
    Acans, Favias, Chalices and Rics get Fauna Marin LPS pellets. The SPS get Reef Chili mixed with a bit of Coral Frenzy.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Thx! I have got to get some of those pellets. Not sure who sells them on the west side of D...

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

RBTA would be nice but tank that small might not work. They are known to wander as all nems are. Would put in a pair of cleaners b/c most people dont think of coral as being alive lol. And of course.... LED lighting lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last