[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Custom Built scratch Tank

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Custom Built scratch Tank

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am in the planning stages of building a custom tank. This is what I am thinking, let me know your thoughts and ideas. 4' Long, 4' Wide and 18" deep. So it would be essentially a large square. (I have forgoten the formula for calculating the gallons of this. Does anyone have it?) I would light it with Metal Halide Pedants. Any suggestions with wattage, color and number of Halides? I want this tank to be able to handle SPS, Clams and anything else. I am going to build out of Plexiglass. I know it is a soft material that scratches easily, but you will mostly be viewing this tank from above. Any suggestions on filtration? I have been out of reefing for about 3 years and I am not up to date on some of the latest equipment. I have never used auto dosing or Ozone or electronic probes, but this set up would perhaps warrant that. I like the idea of a large bottom areaand a fairly shallow tank. This should be much easier to maintain than a traditional deep, narrow, long tank. I am thinking a refuge below the tank with a mini mangrove forest growing. I live near the water hear in South West Florida and Mangrove seeds are easy to come by. That last time I did a mangove refuge I had pods coming out of my ears and the water quality was super stable. I lit that 24 hours, but I may just set this on opposite the tank. (Your thoughts?). I need suggestions for a skimmer. I like tons of flow at least at selected times of day. I may set at least one very high volume pump to come on for 12 hours at night just to stir things up and leave it off during the day so that you have a nice smooth surface to look down upon during the day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Chris B.

If it is hardy, I will find a way to kill it. Just Kidding!

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wow!!! Talk about plans...I believe it will be somewhere near 160 gl. Pendants will be great!!! IMO, 4 14k's or 4 10k's w/act suppliments(VHO or T5)... wattage of the halides will depend on the height you will keep them off the water for viewing purposes. I believe your idea for the fuge/mangroves will be super with the addition of a good skimmer... personally, I like the needlewheel type(ASM, ER, Deltec, Etc). I use a ASM g series without any regrets... see www.asmskimmer.com for sizes, prices, etc. I usually light my fuge RDL, but when I see there seems to be a nutrient prob, I up the lighting to 24/7 as needed. About ozone, etc... if you can afford all of the goodies and they are a good quality, get em. Make sure to try to keep a log of your set-up, and all of the details if ya can and post 'em as you go. Good luck.

Jason
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're going to have some big evaporative losses with that much surface area but it sounds really cool!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Erik#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

bjpembo - Reefkeeper Registered User

sounds good.

the volume is 179.5 formula for that is LxWxH divided by 231
    BJ

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that that the evaporation is going to be fairly heavy. My last big reef tank 125 + 40 sump/refuge evaporated about a gallona day. I will probably do an RO/DI auto top off. This is all begining to sound like a lot of money. What are your estimates? Can I pull this off for about $10,000.00 fully stocked (live rock, corals, plexi, Oak finished plywood,solidOak trim on top of tank, pumps, skimmers+++ or am I low? My wife is going to kill me. The last reef project cost me about $6,500.00 and then we sold the house and I had to break everything down and sell it for about a $4,000.00 loss. I don't plan on moving anytime soon, so hopefully I will get to enjoy this project a little longer than the last.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Chris B.

If it is hardy, I will find a way to kill it. Just Kidding!

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would definitely say you could "make" 10,000 or less work. There may be some DIY involved, but that's the fun part. Going with a plexi tank should reduce prices by a great amount. There's a local reefer here that has a DIY 300 with 4 sides plywood and a pane of plexi or glass to view.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying