[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cycling tank with raw shrimp

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    ...a one point jump from say 7 to 8 is 50 times more basic...
    This is wrong, pH is a logarithmic scale, a difference of one pH unit is equivalent to a tenfold difference in hydrogen ion concentration.

So moving from 7 to 8 is a 10X difference, moving from 7 to 9 a 100X.

I know you are trying to be helpful, however it is important to be helpful and accurate. Also, I really am not trying to pick on you, it is obvious you have a great desire to be helpful, and you have a fair bit of knowledge too. :D

There are so many variables in pH, that making statements like "your pH will stabilize at...." is a virtual impossibility. What if the substrate is calcite, or silicate sand? Neither of those will have much effect on raising the pH of the tank. What if the OP is a heavy smoker? That will also have an affect on the pH.

It is much preferable to offer advice that is specific and accurate, then it is to generalize an answer using incorrect data.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    This is wrong, pH is a logarithmic scale, a difference of one pH unit is equivalent to a tenfold difference in hydrogen ion concentration.

I know you are trying to be helpful, however it is important to be helpful and accurate. Also, I really am not trying to pick on you, it is obvious you have a great desire to be helpful, and you have a fair bit of knowledge too. :D

There are so many variables in pH, that making statements like "your pH will stabilize at...." is a virtual impossibility. What if the substrate is calcite, or silicate sand? Neither of those will have much effect on raising the pH of the tank. What if the OP is a heavy smoker? That will also have an affect on the pH.

It is much preferable to offer advice that is specific and accurate, then it is to generalize an answer using incorrect data.
    My point exactly
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post

BAZINGA !

I am not a chemist so looked this up, Mikes numbers are correct.refrenced to Anthony Calfo's "the book of coral propagation". Or the reefers bible as I like to call it.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

haha I knew 7 to 9 would be 100x but for some reason I went and said 7 to 8 would be 50 oops studying other stuff lately in AP sort of allows one to forget the basics thanks Mike
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

CR Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. As for windows they have been closed over the last week because it has been a little bit on the cool side. I decided to start running my skimmer yesterday which helped to remove the cloudiness from the water. This morning after testing ammonia was still holding at 4.0 ppm Nitrites for the past two days had been at 2.0ppm today they were at 5.0 ppm for the past 3 days been having nitrate readings 4/12 20 ppm and then yesterday and today at 40 ppm. Plans for now are to continue to monitor parameters.

Tested pH today which was 8.0, again this is something that will continue to monitor. Substrate is argonite which from my understanding the argonite should help to buffer the water.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

At this point I would shift to testing every other day, or even every third day. Since you are seeing a progression from NH3 to NO2 to NO3, you know the cycle has started, and now it is a waiting game.

CR Member

Thanks poseidon

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2