[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dieing Sun Coral

Bookmark and Share
    harmanrk - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Dieing Sun Coral

Over the weekend, the temperature in my tank hit 90degrees F. Now, I have a sun coral that is dieing. The tissue around a few of the heads is wasting, and coming loose from the skeleton underneath. On several others, the mouths are hanging open, and the skeleton can be seen underneath.

I would like to leave it in the tank to see if any of it will recover, but I do not want to leave it if it is going to fowl the tank. Should I be worried about the dieing coral releasing toxins into the tank, or even an ammonia spike due to the large lump of rotting tissue?

Robert

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I typcially base my desicion on the condition and size of the coral. If the thing is just a ball of snot then yank it out. No sense in crashing the whole tank. If it seems to hanging on you might leave for a day or two and see what happens. Corals are pretty tough but they do have their limits.

My current course is going to be to let it set. Most of the larger more mature heasd are sagging and turnikng to mush, but there is an area where I had 3 new heads appear in the last month, and those three seem to be healthy. I think I will give it a few days to see if they start feeding. If they do, I will try to save it, if I start to see a rise in Ammonia, I will have to pull it.

Robert

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

if the rest looks like it is dying, you may want to think about fragging off the new heads to see if they make it. that is what i would do but some pics might help base the decission on one way or another.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

my temp also did the same thing. parts of my sun coral are also acting up. what i am going to do (now that i have the temp under control) is to remove it from the tank every other day for a few days and feed it in a small bowl of water. that way i can make sure every head is getting the attention it needs. i have brought the coral back from worse then this by useing this method. hope i helped
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Its over. several of the heads had torn away from the base. The tissue was starting to rot, and this evenings water test showed an increase in ammonia. The coral is out on the back deck drying. the skeloton will make a nice addition to the rock pile. I have water mixing for the upcoming waterchange to help with the ammonia spike....

sun1 - Dieing Sun Coral

RIP

Robert

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

sorry for your loss
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

as we discussed the other day a water change is a must due to ammonia and nitrate levels but you may also want to give your corals a dip in logals solution iodine to help repair the damage.instruction are on the bottle of kent logal solution iodine. n/m mind i just realized you killed it