[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY Salt Mix Filter

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default DIY Salt Mix Filter

Do you filter your salt water mix before a water change?

I use Reef Crystals and usually make 15 gallon batches for water changes. I circulate the water with a power head and aerate with a bubble stone for at least 24 hours prior to the water change.

In the past, I would always have a brownish scum stuck to the tote at the water surface at the end of mixing. I also always had this brownish color to my sand bed surface both in the DT and in the refugium. Kind of like diatoms but not quite.

Came up with this DIY filter for use when making my batches. I've been using it for about 2-3 months, and my sand bed is "brownish stuff free". I would also say that my WC water is much clearer than before filtering it. It's easy to make and pulls a lot of "crud" out of each batch. If you haven't filtered your salt water mix, you might be surprised at what comes out. I have not tried this with other salt mixes.

Take a piece of 3/4" PVC and cap one end (longer the better, but a 6-8" piece should work. Mine is around 12"). Drill 6-8 1/4" holes in the pipe near the cap.
    IMG00292 20130225 0035 zps5887910f - DIY Salt Mix Filter

Cut a filter sock (or similar fine filter cloth) in a strip wide enough to cover your holes and zip tie it to the PVC pipe making sure the holes are covered and the zip ties "seal" the ends.
    IMG00291 20130225 0035 zps3501e59e - DIY Salt Mix Filter

Place the pipe in your mix bucket with the air stone in the pipe. Make sure the open end of the pipe is at the water surface or slightly under. The air bubbles will rise up the pipe and create a chminey effect similar to an undergravel filter. It will pull the water through the cloth and up the pipe. With that, you get both aeration and filtration in one step.
    IMG00293 20130225 0036 zpsbe0da03e - DIY Salt Mix Filter

Here's a filter after one 15 gallon batch mixed to 1.026 and aerated for 24 hours.
    IMG00295 20130225 0042 zpsa6c31bc8 - DIY Salt Mix Filter

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I just recently read another post about someone else getting the brown stuff from RC. I had it before also....reason? Adding the salt into cold water to fast.
    Now I don't know if the above reason is true as I'm no scientists but....I now add my salt slowly to RO/DI water that's been heated and allow it to mix using a PH for 2-4 days before using. No more brown stuff!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Hhmmmm...

Any idea where you read that? I'm curious.

Solubilities of most salts do increase with temperature, but we're not talking significant differences between tap water and tank water temperatures. The most likely precipitate (CaCO3) is one of the oddballs and is actually less soluble at warmer temps.

Addition rate might be a factor. How slow is "slowly add"?

My guess is you're seeing the effect of 2-4 days of mixing and the "brown stuff" slowly dissolving or getting beat up by your powerhead until you don't see it any longer. But that's a guess...

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'll search the two other forums I visit for the info and post it later....
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I have found personally when I add my salt slowly to the full amount of water and a pump circulating I get no residue. If I add the salt first and pour the wate rin it flashes and all heck breaks loose. If I dump the salt in the full amount of water its a little better but still get some flashing and residue. Pour it slowly cup by cup and let it dissolve and no issues at all. I have also found Oceanic dissolves much quicker than the IO products and Red Sea I used to use.

Certainly not scientific but my personal experience over the last 35 years.

CR Member

Next batch I'm going to try this and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!