[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: Do you use a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter)?

Voters
17. Register or Login to Vote
  • Yes

11 64.71%
  • No

6 35.29%

Do you use a GFCI?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Default Do you use a GFCI?

Do you use a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter)?

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I use a GFI for fire prevention. I like it due to that fact it will cut out if somrthing arcs out.

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

I use GFCI on everything I have plugged in. When I finished my basement the new circuits I installed were also GFCI in the panel, per code. Why would I mention my basement? My sump is there, and the last thing I need is a fire starting below my son's bedroom. I think it's absolutely necessary that you use them for your own protection from a major shock also.

CR Member

I installed new breakers and ran two new lines from my box, each to a GFCI. I also have a surge protector on each outlet, one for the lights and one for the pumps. ( Serious Overkill, but total piece of mind. )

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    I use a GFI for fire prevention. I like it due to that fact it will cut out if somrthing arcs out.
    100% False. For that, you need an Arc sensing breaker.

The.Maxi.Man - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't lol

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy View Post
    100% False. For that, you need an Arc sensing breaker.
    So you are saying that it won't trip a breaker than?

CR Member

When I started to build my current tank I installed GFCI in all outlets of the circuit the tank would run in. Completely unnecessary but was easy. I used to go to school to be an electrician and I just feel safer with them. 15-20 a piece is worth it to me compared to the other expenses. With all the electricity a reef tank has flowing to it and all the saltwater splashing around I feel it is a must.

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    So you are saying that it won't trip a breaker than?
    I should have said 99%, not 100%.

It is possible that it could arc between the hot wire and something like the stand or a whole different circuit's ground back to the box and trip but not always the case. A GFCI will only trip when it senses a change in the status of its' ground. So yes, it COULD arc and it could trip but not always guaranteed.

They now sell arc and GFCI breakers. They are a few pretty pennies, but well worth it.

There are also a few threads floating around of people using GFCI's and they tripped for no reason taking out most of the tank from no flow/heat. For the record I do not use any GFCI's but when I setup the new tank, it will have two 20 amp GFCI and arc breaker circuits.

CR Member

off topic but +1 to cable. An arc may not trip a breaker. GFCI protects you from completing the circuit where as an arc detector senses the arc and interrupts the circuit. arc breakers are more for say old wires or frayed cords that give arc. AFCI are typically installed in newer ( I think 2002 and up) panel boxes or as outlets. The best protection from fire from arc and shock from completing a circuit is a combo AFCI and GFCI breaker in your panel box. AFCI can and will trip a lot from motors. That being said just make sure your cords aren't frayed and stick with GFCI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last