[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Does clean up crew count?

Bookmark and Share
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Does clean up crew count?

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT class=nf face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#Just curious about the clean up crew as counting against the amount of critters in the tank. I know that the ideal ratio is 1 inch of fish per five gallons of water, but do we count the clean up crew in this equation or are they free becuse they earn their keep?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Secondly, how much clean up crew per gallon is a good ratio?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default It depends on the crud... :lol:

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your clean-up crew is your saving grace when it comes to taking care of your Reef. Depending on what your clean up need is, that's what you buy. Blue Legged Hermits are a must IMO as they pick through and eat all the leftover things that can cause your tank to show you many different types of problems that will determine what your need is going to be. As your tank becomes established, those hermits are going to need help with problems like green algae, detritus. hair algae, brown algae, livestock deaths etc. Remember, your clean up crew needs to eat also, so if you purchase things that don't have any work to do, they may feed on things in your tank that you don't want them to touch. Then there's always the dreaded cyano (nothing eats that, you reduce the amount of food your feeding, reduce your lighting cycle, and add more flow volume in the tank if it's inadequate. We stick with 6-7 hours of daylight, feed 2-3 times per week depending on what we feed. AND...test, test, test to make sure your parameters are where they should be. If they aren't, that's when some of these problems can also come up at which time you may need to add another type of snail that cleans that problem area.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What helped me a lot when I was first starting to choose a cleaning crew, was some of the catalogs I receive in the mail...(ie: Foster & Smith Catalog). Often, they will show each snail they carry, and have a nice description of it's purpose for cleaning. You always have the internet, and best of all you are a member here! If you need an answer quickly and don't have time to wait for a reply to your post (generally we're pretty quick), you can always use the "Search" option on the "Site Navigation Bar", and search out your problem. It's a great tool! When you search, it will bring up a list of pages with Subjects to identify what the post is about. You may likely find your answer already posted on the board!! Manypeople will relate to what you have going on, and tell you just what to buy. Take a peek at this particular snail thread. I chose it because it shows just how differently people stock their tanks for the best clean up crew for their tanks! I hope I've helped you! .....Angel #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op# STRONG#ed_cl#Copy & paste the entire link into your browser:#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed _op#A href="http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=1609&start=0&postdays=0&am p;postorder=asc&highlight=cerith+snail"#ed_cl#http://www.captivereefing.com/viewto...op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~