[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Doing an in wall build, got a few questons.

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Doing an in wall build, got a few questons.

Currently have a 90 mixed reef in my parents basement. Bought a house about a month ago and am almost moved in and will be putting the 90 in my living room wall, the other side is the spare bedroom closet, basically a perfect scenario.

Hoping to start cutting the wall out in the next week or so, but kind got to thinking about something, what height do most people generally put in wall tanks at? My tank is about 32 in off the ground on its current stand at my rents house, but the stand wont be reused so i have the option of doing anything I want. I personally think the 32in for the base of the tank is a bit low, but im about 6'2" so Im always feel that im looking down at it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I feel it mostly depends on how you view the tank. If you'll mostly view it while sitting on the couch/favorite chair then lower makes sense. However, if you will mostly be standing when viewing then go higher. Also try to consider the impact of the height on ease of maintenance. If the tank is too low then you'll be all hunched over, and if it's too tall then you may need a step stool to reach the bottom.

Personally I prefer a tank to be a bit higher... 35" or more (depending on total height of the tank itself).

HTH,
    Tom

PS. I have not had an in-wall so this info is for free-standing tanks... though I think it would still apply to in-wall tanks.
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 10-05-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added PS

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Before I cut my wall i walked up to the wall and put an x where I looked at the wall straight on. Then had my wife do the same thing. I split the difference and that was my center mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

That sounds awesome Im also Im my parents basement until Im done with school and then plan on buying a house. I would love to put an in-wall tank in when I get my house, looking forward to pics in the future.