[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dumbest move ever!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Dumbest move ever!

So while playing around with the rkl, I thought I'd straighten out some wires and clean things up. I unplugged the fan and the heater from the pc4. After straightening I plugged 'em back in and had a beer. An hour later I had a feeling of doom and checked. The temp was at 85.5. Never been that high, ever. I stupidly plugged the fan and heater in opposite. So while it was trying to cool, it was heating. I filled a bunch of ziplocks with ice and started floating. Hooked up two big fans across the water and two hours later it's at 82. Just hoping no bleaching occurs. Sure does take a lot longer to cool than heat.

Man was that stupid.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Oooops!

85 isnt too bad. Hope it all works out for you. I would bet everything will be fine.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Yikes! I label each plug so I know what I'm unplugging but this makes me realize I need to label the pc4 outlets too! Hopefully there's no negative impact on your livestock.

Tom

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Sorry to hear about the mixup!

Hope everything is OK.

Good thing you thought to recheck it!

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Yikes! I label each plug so I know what I'm unplugging but this makes me realize I need to label the pc4 outlets too! Hopefully there's no negative impact on your livestock.

Tom
    I DO THE SAME TAG EVERY PLUG SAVES TIME and mix ups allso like sir pat said 85 is not to bad hope everything work out for u
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Bummer hopefully you will update us with good news.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Not too high of a temp, keep us posted on how it turns out. I bet you learned your lesson....

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Tom Tom, what are we going to do with you? I too lable my cords. I have also reversed my alk and calcium plugs, just a heads up for you, lable them now!. You should also program you computer with stop points. I have 85 for my upper limit so it the temp hits 85 my MHs go off. If the temp goes below 75 they go on. Kind of a backup reminder in case I "f" up. Happened once. I came home from work and my lights were off. Stupid heater ran away but the lights being off triggered me to look and removed a heat source. If it were to drop then they would help heat the tank until I figured out what was going on. One last tip about that safety net.....remember it if you take you temp probe out of the water for a few minutes. I've did that once and spent 10 minutes trying to find out my my lights came on.

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

You guys are right! I learned my lesson alright. I'm labeling everything. The funny thing is, I labeled everything on the other setup including my pc4, but not on my favorite setup, the 135. It's an easy thing to do, not sure what I was thinking.

So far everything lived except a teal chalice with orange eyes and a 3" purple haze. But, the chalice got sand blasted by the other great idea I had (oolitic sand) and the purple haze was killed by a hydnophora that thought it was getting attacked by the sand blowing into it and sent out some pretty long stingers. Purple haze dead in a matter of hours.

Everything else seems o.k. with polyps out and it sure is bright in there.

Also, Don, what a great idea using my rkl to signal me of temp swings! I'll do that on both systems. Thanks!
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

If I can make one more suggestion, set your max temp on the heater itself to limit the chance that you could ever over heat with a controller malfunction. If you know you never want to be over 80- make sure the dial on the heater itself is set that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last