[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

EEEEEEEEk Look what I found this morning!

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default EEEEEEEEk Look what I found this morning!

In the wee hours of the morning I noticed my chili coral was finally open! Of course I had to get nose-up-to-the-glass close with a magnifying glass and THIS was watching me!

Anybody have any clue as to how to catch this Cirolanid Isopod? Will anything eat it? Do I have to wait for it to attach to a fish and scrape it off? Geesh what an awful start to a day!

:WHY: me?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

EEEEKKKKK step on it, lol. Yucky looking for sure. I'm not sure how to catch one, but I hope someone else knows and answers ASAP! Good luck

Anyone got links, about this, since when are pods bad?
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

good luck.... im to new for any advice its not a funny matter but i would call the orcan-man

fatman.....Only some pods are bad. They can be parasites. (think wood tick or deer ticks) I had to pull about 20 off of a batch of seahorses we got in at the LFS once. FW dips and praziPro didn't get them off. It was NASTY!! Not to mention scarry for fear of causing secondary infections on the seahorses from the open wounds. Their mouths are like fish hooks, goes in easy, comming out is not easy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea~Horse~Whisperer View Post
    fatman.....Only some pods are bad. They can be parasites. (think wood tick or deer ticks) I had to pull about 20 off of a batch of seahorses we got in at the LFS once. FW dips and praziPro didn't get them off. It was NASTY!! Not to mention scarry for fear of causing secondary infections on the seahorses from the open wounds. Their mouths are like fish hooks, goes in easy, comming out is not easy at all.
    Should a reefer worry about these in my tank?? Or is this more specific toward sea horses?
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

now i'm still new ...........so what i'm aboutto say may be wrong but i would say yes worry about them in all tanks

They can attach themselves to fish too. I wouldn't worry too much unless you actually see them. I don't think it's a real common problem for most people. If you are buying wild caught animals, it is more likely to happen then. I am by no means an expert. I'm just giving you my experience and info. I have read.

Angie

CR Member

I did some heavy research to discover how to get rid of this vermin! I found a great article on Cirolinid Isopods and thought I'd share it with everyone. I think what I'm going to have to do is wait for it to attach to a fish and scrape it off while praying there was no mate or she wasn't pregnant!
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

I did learn that they come from rock etc from the gulf... so RHAPALA you might want to think hard before getting that tampabay rock. I'm glad we got all the life etc we did get with the LR but I'm wondering if this critter is worth it. Just my 2 cents worth, Jim.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

THANKS AK FOR THE LINK AND YER THOUGHTS I'LL PUT SOME EXTRA THOUGHT INTO IT WORSE CASE I'LL BUY FROM MY LFS WITH LOTS OF LACE ROCK THEN MAYBE 30 LBS OF LR