[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

everything dying

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default everything dying

today, i noticed my yellow tang was swimming odd. I did have a bicolor die in the tank which i was unable to find about 5 days ago. now my yellow tang is dead, and all the other fish are swimming odd. fins are splitting. i did a 25% water change today, just tested my new ammonia level and it looks like it is in the 1.5 range. i don't have any more water at present to do another water change. is there anything i can do to stop this progression, or are they gonners. all help appreciated.

unfortunately sounds like a complete crash. I wish you well. Maybe some of the more experienced refers here may give you some suggestions but it doesn't sound good.
    :violent2: an enemy

Quote Originally Posted by SDW
    today, i noticed my yellow tang was swimming odd. I did have a bicolor die in the tank which i was unable to find about 5 days ago. now my yellow tang is dead, and all the other fish are swimming odd. fins are splitting. i did a 25% water change today, just tested my new ammonia level and it looks like it is in the 1.5 range. i don't have any more water at present to do another water change. is there anything i can do to stop this progression, or are they gonners. all help appreciated.
    get some prime and add it to your tank this will nutrilize ammonia and nitrates it wont reduce the levels but it will detoxify them .until you can make up some water.get that water changed out asap.even if you have to buy water from local store for mixing salt water.if you tap is paletable treat with prime and mix up a batch at home.your fish cannot last long under those conditions.you can purchase ammonia and nitrate remover filter media use for 3-4 days then changes them out.good luck

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Are you running carbon in the tank? If not get some running 'actively' asap, if so then change it out and run more. The carbon will at least help start pulling more ammo from the water column, and subsequently help reduce nitrite, and to a lesser degree nitrates as well.

What are the rest of your water parameters reading?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Any chance of getting your sruff to a Quarantine tank, it may be the only chance you have of keeping them alive.

CR Member

ok, so maybe i freaked out a little. My tang did bite it, and my other fish looked bad, but today I took a sample of water to the lfs and he said my ammonia was ok, must have been a bad test (he said some times the liquid ones outdate and are inaccurate). The ph was low, around 8.0 so I added some buffer, and the fish seem to be looking a little better.... Here is the bad side, I think I may have figured out what happened. I had cleaned all the powerheads and protein skimmer and such the night before everything went south. I think that the sink which I cleaned everything may have had some residue or something from a cleaner when we cleaned the sink the other day. Still watching and hoping for no more losses. Anyone know of a good cleaner for the sinks and such to keep them from smelling like fish, without harming them? I thought I had rinsed it all down good before I started, but that's all I can think of. BTW sorry to be so wordy.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

If you have a garbage disposal on the sink toss half a lemon in it after you are done cleaning your gear and that will help remove any odors. Otherwise just some lemon juice down the drain may help.

Glad to hear things are stabilizing for you...
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Don't fill the sink and wash like that, just run the water over them and wash with your hands.
    I never let anything to do with my tank come in contact with anything like
    the sink
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

baking soda for the smell...I also use majic erasers to clean everything in my kitchen.but for cleaning equipment use white vinigar and rinse with warm water.

CR Member

thanks for the advice. Happy to say the rest of the inhabitants are still alive on day 2 of "panic attack" day. I am going to have to be much more careful in the future. Of course now I am paranoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last