[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Favorite algea scraper???

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Favorite algea scraper???

I have a mag float,, but it just dont seem to get the walls good enough,, i still have a green cast on the walls,,, the mag float just skimms over,, dont take anything off,, what would you recommend to scrape off the green coating of algea on walls???? Thanks Mindy

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Which MagFloat are you using? And how thick is the glass (or is it acrylic?)...

I love the MagFloat 360, even on 9/16" glass it tore through everything but coraline with seldom more than one pass. On a smaller tank with only 3/8" glass it works even better.

Note: The green/blue ones are designed to be less abrasive as they are meant for use on acrylic and don't scrub quite as well IMO.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

the mag float is grey in color,,,,,, that is all i know about it,, and to tell you the truth,,, i dont know if i have acrylic or glass,, it is a 75 gallon,, from the looks at it at the corners,, to me it looks like glass....any suggestions?? I'm ready to take a green scrubby to it! thanks mindy

First Name
    Dave

If it's glass, a single ended razor blade (the one with the metal on the back so your fingers stay attached) will make very short work of the job. There is also a paint scraper that Bobby found at a local Home Depot with a handle that works great....
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

Ok so if i used a metal scraper????or razor blade,, would that harm anything in the tank??? thanks Mindy

First Name
    Dave

No harm for anything in the tank, just be sure to use a new tank dedicated scraper (a good washing with soap and water to remove any oils from manufactureing wouldn't hurt before use) and dry it well afterwards to prevent rusting.

Or in the case of a razor blade, I just give them a once over with a nail brush, and toss them after done scraping since they are cheap and easily replaced. Just be certain if you break a blade that you get any pieces out as quickly as posible.

If you're sure you have a glass tank, check out this thread: http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=3516

I bought the scraper Bobby pictured in the paint department at Lowe's, and it has been absolutely the easiest and most thorough method I've tried (and it was cheap too)! When you're done scraping, take the blade out of the handle and rinse both parts in fresh water. Be sure to dry the blade well so it doesn't rust. BTW, I still use my mag-float every few days for quick cleaning.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

well i am glad that i could be of help to so many people !! i had no idea that scraping was such an issue for everyone or i would have suggested that scraper a long time ago !! lol