[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Feeding fish?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Feeding fish?

Alright i've always fed my fish time day a day every day. I'm thinking about moving to every other day.
    But is this right? i mean how would we feel if we got 1 meal a day that filled our stomach and managed to hold out for 2 days to eat again?

or is it just not that way with fish? will a feeding like that have an impact on they're health?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    I feed 3-4 times a day, minimum 2 times a day and thats if I work 12+hrs lol

Why are you thinking about going from 1 feeding a day to 1 ever other day? If your doing vodka/mb-7 I wouldnt suggest going less either.
    cause im still having a cyano/dino issue and im scratching my head on where its comming from

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Less frequent feeding

It may be a good way to go. When I have algae issues, I feed every other day and try to be careful about draining the mysis. In addition, the tangs and other workers in the tank will work a bit harder to tackle the problem in your tank.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    Oh, I thought u got rid of that problem already
    the cyano went away and got replaced by dinos....

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I feed every other day or no more than 5x a week and have had many many fish live over 13 years in my systems. The youngest fish I have right now is over 7 years old and they are fat and happy. I also have a Sebae anemone that is now 21 years old and going strong and is never hand or target fed, it gets what the clowns feed it and thats all, same with the 8 year old RBTAs..

I was also taught to consider a fishes stomach to be about equal to the size of its eyeballs and feed accordingly so I feed sparingly.

You will get a million opinions on the subject but thought I would share my 30+ years of saltwater and reefkeeping experience firsthand.
    Likes CableGuy liked this post

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Well put AZdesertrat! I know a few people who feed every other day andthere tanks are doing well. However we fees twice a day smaller portions. Fish are fat and healthy. Heck they survived a crash.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I feed 2 times a day, once in the morning with flake food and once at night with a frozen food.
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

I feed once a day but like AZDesertRat's post. Good info for sure.

I would say ween them to every other day or feed daily but feed much less.

igot2gats - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff

Feeding every other day will not hurt the health of your fish, as long as you still ensure that every fish gets some food. It's better to feed less, than to overfeed.

When I'm away from my tank for a couple of days, I'm never worried. Fish can go a day or two w/o food and be fine.

And yes, feeding every other day will help your algae problems as well.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Some fish require feeding more often than others. For example anthias are notorious for needing to be fed several times a day. Whereas something like a mandarin goby doesn't require any feedings (assuming there is ample pods to feed on).

Knowing the requirements of your livestock and the capabilities of your tank (filtration), is key to being more successful. In my two above examples neither fish is suited for my tank for example because I don't have the filtration to handle that many feedings and I don't have the amount of live rock necessary to provide a sustainable pod population.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last