[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

filter

Bookmark and Share
    petercar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    larry

Default filter

i have a 55 gallon tank its a 24 deep one...so now im looking to upgrade my filter from the aquaclear 70 that came with the tank i do have a protein skimmer and we have a 70 powerhead inside the tank so now my question is mind yu.... no sump....whats my best bet for a new filter ?.....is the nextreef smr 1 reactor the one?...and what bio pellets or filler do i use?

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

Is a sump at all an option? they are essentially the way to go with saltwater tank as they house your equipment, provide extra water volume which in turn leads to stability which is key for a saltwater aquarium, you say you have a skimmer, the sump would be the place to put one. I don't know to much about filters for saltwater tanks but really they only work halfway decent on smaller tanks like nanos which is anything up to 30 gallons, and even on smaller tanks like that people still sometimes incorporate a sump and a protein skimmer somehow. All in all i really wouldn't recommend any filters. A sump in the way to go it will most likely save you the hassle of messing with a filter all together as they can be a pain.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

petercar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    larry

The only reason we won't use a sump is cuz of space We live in a apt

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Heres your answer to needing a refugium but not having the space.
    Ive got the CPR Aquafuge 2 and I love it!!! Check em out and see what you think.

www.cprusa.com

---
    - IPhone+Tapatalk=I don't miss a thing!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com