[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

filter socks, how do you clean them?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Default filter socks, how do you clean them?

So I just started using filters socks again and I was curious to hear from fellow reefers how you go about cleaning them and how frequently you do? The last time I used them I was informed to flip it inside it and put in the washer and use hot water and a very small amount of bleach. This seemed to do the trick as far as cleaning them but they didn't seem to last that long. Right were the filter sock met the plastic rim, the material was disconnecting itself from the rim to the point were eventually it was barely even holding on. So needless to say I had to replace both of them but it was only around a month of them being used which seems a little to soon in my opinion. Right now, I currently have a small bio load in my 120 display. Theres a pair of black ice clowns, green file fish, melanarus wrasse, mandarin goby, and a small fox face. Everything else is coral. I appreciate any and all help.
    Happy Reefing!!!

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

When it's warm enough outside I clean mine with the jet setting on my garden hose and let them dry in the sun. When it's cold like it is now I rinse them in the laundry tub to get as much of the gunk out and then put them in the washer with bleach like you do.

One thing you should try is washing them on the extra gentle / slow / hand wash setting and they should last longer.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

We use the washing machine on gentle with max cold water level. We feed very heavy so we change ours about 3x a week. We don't use bleach tho. We do put them in nylon mesh dive bag which stops them from getting trashed in the spin cycle.
    Likes schminksbro, creefer liked this post

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Thanks for the info Tal, I figured that washing then in the regular cycle probably want the best thing for them after they feel apart. How long would you use one before before you yanked it out for a cleaning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 4

First Name
    Matt

Thanks Binford....do you now any benefits of washing in cold water to warm water and vise versa?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 4

CR Member
    First Name
    Ron

I rinse my in the sink with the sprayer to get the heavy stuff off ,then soak in a bucket with hydrogen peroxide for a couple hours then rinse them in the washing machine.

I was told by preuss never to wash them in a washer with an agitator.. the agitator is what beats them up fast.. with that said I now own a front load washer and just throw them in inside out. I am using the thinner nylon ones and usually change out every week or so.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I wait until I've got about a dozen dirty socks then, washing machine, hot water, max load size, no detergent / lots of bleach - w/heavy duty agitation and 2 rinses then air dry. Quick rinse in RO prior to use.

Been using this method for years.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
    I wait until I've got about a dozen dirty socks then, washing machine, hot water, max load size, no detergent / lots of bleach - w/heavy duty agitation and 2 rinses then air dry. Quick rinse in RO prior to use.

Been using this method for years.
    Ditto minus the bleach and hot water(to cheap to use hot water ! Lol)

Affordable Aquatic - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    John

If they are not too crusted with salt and sand, turn them inside out and just toss in washing machine. If they are really crusty, wash once as is, and then turn inside out for a second rinse. No need to use bleach. Bleach will just cause them to degrade quicker and who cares if they look white or not.
    Visit us at AffordableAquatic.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last