[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Finally got my sump set up!

Bookmark and Share
    dberrong - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Finally got my sump set up!

I took at 30 gallon tank and inserted a 10 gallon tank down inside of it. I then raised my skimmer up about 6" off the bottom of the 10 gallon. I was curious if anyone thought it would be a good idea for a refugium inside the 10 gallon tank also. The water would fall from the overflow into LR rubble with live sand and algae, then the water would be pumped through the skimmer. I don't have the room for it on the outside of the 10 gallon. My tank looks so much better without all that equipment packed inside.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Darren
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." (Henry Ford)

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Any kind of a fuge is a good thing... find room where you can and fit it in. If you can't find space enough in your sump, you can always add a hang-on refugium.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

looking good, looks like that skimmer is working well for you
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

Yes it is working good. Thanks for your help with that. It is pulling some nasty stuff out. My plan is to start filling it with soft corals. I have too many large fish right now and I plan on trading the Foxface at the LFS this week for either some smaller ones or some soft corals depending on what is there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Darren
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." (Henry Ford)

Anyone have suggestions on Macro Algae and live sand that I should introduce to the refugium? I'll have to purchase both. I've read that Cheato is the algae to get. How many lbs. of sand would I need for 8 gallons of refug. space? Types of sand?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Darren

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree on Chaeto being the best choice for macro. I would go with sugar sand in the fuge, 3-4" deep if you can fit it. For a light on the fuge, I just use a basic clamp light with a spiral CF bulb. It works great and cheap. Here is a link on the clamp light but you can get them at most hardware stores. I would get the bigger one if it will fit. Some of the bigger watt CF bulbs have a wide ballast near the socket, which runs into the smaller diameter clamp lights. You can also remove the reflector on the light and use a flood style CF bulb instead.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...&um=1&ie=UTF-8

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Looks like a good set up. But I do agree a fuge would be great.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

I have a clamp light that I plan on using an outdoor flood light that I have laying around the house with. Check the links below and let me know if the Cheato is a good price as well as the live sand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=010

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-LB-CURED-PREM...QQcmdZViewItem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Darren

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

I got 1 pound of Red Gracilaria from this guy last January to stock my referum. He also threw in some of the green stuff for free. I use the red to feed. I will be buying more as I am trying for the worlds first FAT yellow tang. It grows fairly quick. But not as fast as they eat it. Thinking of setting up a tank just to grow it.
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grue View Post
    Thinking of setting up a tank just to grow it.
    Grue
    get some seahorses to go with the algae :D
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.