[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: should i use my uv sterilizer to kill ich (chemicals not working) ??

Voters
2. Register or Login to Vote
  • yes

1 50.00%
  • no

1 50.00%

uv sterilizer

Bookmark and Share
    lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

Default uv sterilizer

the question is... do you guys think, since i can`t get rid of the ich with reef safe chemicals, should i run my uv sterilizer for a month ?? although it will eliminate good bacteria it will also kill the free swimming ich !!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I said yes. It will be easier on the fish to go through a mini cycle than to have a lowered imune system for the next 2-3 months. But I don't know it all so if you do it I hold no liability expressed or implied. actual results may vary. down payment and terms......... You get the idea.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

What temps are you running? Also have you dosed garlic? Just wondering cause my hippo had a run in with ich that went away with garlic and high temps. Plus do you have any cleaner shrimps?
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

First Name
    Bobby

i run the tank at about 79 at night - 81 with the lights on. i have been dosing garlic extreme with thier food for about 3 weeks. and i do not have any cleaner shrimp, because i have a lionfish in the reef !! he would destroy them all in a matter of minutes !!

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

maybe look into some cleaner gobies (i think that is what they are called) and once you get this under control keep useing your garlic and your uv sterilizer if you end up getting one
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

First Name
    Bobby

i already have the UV, i had a cleaner wrasse but he died because he didn't get enough to eat !! they have a very LOW survival rate for that reason. i took Gregs advise on this (in PM's). it was the same as Fatman's. it seems to be going away, although a little to late for my Powder Brown, but none of the other fish are showing ANY signs of it !!

I've had a UV sterilizer hooked up to my tank since day 1. Frankly, it doesn't seem to help on ich.

My fishes still get ich or something that looks like ich, every now and then and the strange thing is that since I stopped worrying about it, they seem to shake it off (especially on the blue tang, brown tang and purple) by themselves, usually within days.

The only caveat is that I don't seem to be able to keep powder tangs. Strange thing is that they seem to survive well (eat well) for one to two months, suddenly get ich and die AND pass the ich on to the other tangs in the tank. I love powder tangs but will NEVER ever buy another.