[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Flatworms

Bookmark and Share
    tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

Default Flatworms

I have a HUGE flatworm problem and was told I could use flatworm exit. I would like to here form people who have used this product, was it a huge disaster? or did it work well for you? The reason I ask is I'm afraid it will hurt my system if I do this wrong. Is there any other alternative to flatworm exit?

Kalmed - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Gordon

Default Your not alone.

I have had good luck with the 1 time I have used it. Follow the directions on the box to the "T". Try your best to remove as many as you can see before you treat the tank to help decrease the potential effects of the toxin that are released when the little buggers die. Have your water change mixed and ready along with GAC. Good luck!
    ALL bleeding stops...eventually.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmed View Post
    I have had good luck with the 1 time I have used it. Follow the directions on the box to the "T". Try your best to remove as many as you can see before you treat the tank to help decrease the potential effects of the toxin that are released when the little buggers die. Have your water change mixed and ready along with GAC. Good luck!
    +1 It works fine as long as you follow the directions. Seconds after dosing they begin to writhe and die.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

If you're going to dose your exisiting tank with everything in it then I 2nd or I guess 3rd the above, remove as many of th e flatworms as you can before dosing. When flatworms die they produce a toxin which in large doses is harmful to fish. The flatworm exit does work but cautious how you use it. When I had flatworms I removed a rock at a time and dipped it. It worked like a charm and I haven't had any issues since. I've also read that a coris wrasse will eat them but this is never a guaranteed thing. Good luck!
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

You could also consider a wrasse which will eat the flatworms and not come with the risk of dosing chemicals.

Dreamer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

+1 on Cbau comment "If you're going to dose your exisiting tank with everything in it then I 2nd or I guess 3rd the above, remove as many of th e flatworms as you can before dosing."

IF you use Flatworm Exit it is best to do it at night about a hour or two after lights out. Reason being is while the chemical isn't toxic to fish or corals the dead and dieing flat worms can potentially harm your fish. Make sure to not run your skimmer or and carbon for 24 hours then resume and do a 20% water change. I believe if memory serves me. there is another product as well you might see called Flatworm Control but I don't personally think it is as effective as the Exit. As a former President for MASC I got calls on this at least once a month. There is one other thing you might use that would be interceptor. It is a Prescription med that vets use. But I have a problem with it as the dosage seem to vary from vet to vet.

Disclaimer LOL

These are my opinions and views take them as you would any other source and verify prior to putting anything in your tank

Be Safe
    Mark

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    You could also consider a wrasse which will eat the flatworms and not come with the risk of dosing chemicals.

Which type of wrasse would you recommend?

A yellow coris or a sixline would work although most fairy wrasses could do the trick as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by tankdude View Post

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
    Leopard wrasse

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    A yellow coris or a sixline would work although most fairy wrasses could do the trick as well.
    +1 also
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."