[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

flatworms

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    ReeferMike - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Default flatworms

been dealing with flatworms lately... not aefw but the common reddish brown ones. ive been manually removing them for the last week or so syphoning them out with an airhose but i know in the back of my mind ill never get rid of them completely that way. i really dont want to resort to flatworm exit or anything like that, so what are my options? im not seeing any negative impact on any of my corals, its my understanding they are more of just an eyesore and consume pods... is this correct?

been looking into a melanarus wrasse after reading about it in reefkeeping... anyone have first hand experiance with one?

kindof confusing how i even got them... never had them before and really havent added anything new in a long time. most of my rock and coral have been with me for years in various tanks.

any help is appreciated

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

The melanarus wrasse sounds like a good bet to try, along with the yellow and green coris wrasse. The lined wrasse seem to be more hit and miss.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I once had a six line that did some work! I've also heard that psycadelic madrins love any type of flat work or bug!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Mike

thanks, looks like im going to start shopping around for a nice wrasse id love a mandarin but ive never been able to keep one for any length of time.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have heard six lines will take them out

mandrines eat pods not fw but many wrasses will eat the worms

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy695 View Post
    I have heard six lines will take them out

mandrines eat pods not fw but many wrasses will eat the worms
    Have you owned either?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

well i do have a sixline but have never had fw

one thing is if you use a fish to controle them is that it wont get rid of them but just controle the quantity

First Name
    Mike

so i grabbed my airline tube to do my ritual purification of flatworms in the tank today and couldnt find any of them. could i really have done that much damage to them over the last few weeks syphoning them out? ( i find hard to believe) or is it likely that i had a population explosion due to a food source that is now gone for whatever reason and theyre dieng off now much like brisstle worms and pods and whatnot?

the tank has only been setup for a month, some of the rock came out of my nano, the rest of it had been cooking for a few months. same with the sand, i used what i had in the nano and added a couple bags of new aragonite.

could it have just been part of a new tank syndrome? or is it more likely they were all just hiding

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

It could go either way. Keep an eye on things.

I have always waited the flatworms out the couple times I had them. They show up, get to max capacity, then dwindle down to nothing and die.

At least that is what has happened for me.

Still getting a wrasse? They are great watchdogs of the reeftank for pest extermination and preventatives of future infestations. Not only are they cool to look at, but they do a job at the same time. They are very benificial if you are a zoanthid/sps keeper.

First Name
    Mike

well theyre back again... not too many but enough that i know theyre still there. its nice to know that they will eventually dwindle but yea i do still want to get a wrasse.

are coris wrasses prone to jumping out of the tank?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last