[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Food recipes

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Food recipes

Well might seam strange or obsessive but we have been making our own food and freezing it. We have seen great results with our recipe and got me thinking. How many people are doing this ?? Our have I gone off the deep end and have just gotten carried away again?? We're going to be making up another much larger batch next week and am also wondering if anyone would appreciate the recipe and pictures of how to do this. It's a stinky job but well worth it.We have seen much better growth and color out of the coral and the fish seem to enjoy the better nutrient food. Also with removing the frozen brine foods from the system we have seen a huge reduction in aptaisa. But that's another subject and thread to come soon. Looking forward to what others are whipping up and if theirs enough interested we'll document what we do.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I don't presently make my own, just Spirulina flake, PE frozen Mysis and frozen Cyclopeeze.

What is your recipe and what types of fisn and inhabitants are you feeding? Been thinking about it but have never gotten around to it.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    I don't presently make my own, just Spirulina flake, PE frozen Mysis and frozen Cyclopeeze.

What is your recipe and what types of fisn and inhabitants are you feeding? Been thinking about it but have never gotten around to it.
    We are going to do a picture post of what we have been doing. We have a large amount of fish,four diffrent tangs,six diffrent wrasses,ten chromis,goby's,fox face cleaner wrasses just a bunch of fish lol. We also include the coral food in the frozen cube and preventive medicine for the fish. We have been very pleased with the growth we have been getting and the fish look healthier then we ever seen them. The color on the fish has just poped as well as the corals color. Best food change we haver made. Well worth it and makes feeding an easy choir .

jmowbray - Reefkeeper CR Member

very interested in seeing what you add. I'm going to be making my own soon and I'm interested to see what you are adding compared to mine.

CR Member

+1; looking forward to seeing the recipe

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Well guess we got enough to make it a conversation for sure. I will update this thread the weekend after the swap with pictures and step by step directions.

jmowbray - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Food recipes

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Waiting on our coral Ectasy order then we'll be slicing and diceing !

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Ok so here's our recipe. We use Japanese sea food mix,frozen skinned shrimp,scallops,oyster feast and well here's a picture!
    1d3bad5d983e6952cee7e0667cea6648 zps32680dca - Food recipes
    We then takehalf the bag of sea food,six or so shrimp ,several big chunks of mysis and three scallops and chunk it all up in the blender. This is mainly for the fish.

a3f8d814ace2ec26c1ad2c8aff7e4a04 zps6281edf3 - Food recipes
    Next we take the other half of the sea food mix,six more or so shrimp,a couple scallops,oyster feast,minced garlic(three tablespoons)chopped clams,coral frenzy,coral Ectasy jumbo krill and the complete bottle of brite wells zoo plankton and run it in the blender tell it is liquidfied . We then pour it into the chunks
    05b81c01b15d0966c9dcf36744cb2557 zpsb200f0e9 - Food recipes
    We then add the roti feast and ROE fish egg feast
    31dddc8ab006ce34467790e3771d99b6 zps2021594e - Food recipes
    90d4ce343a653103ee3d44f95dcf26e2 zps8485a150 - Food recipes
    Then mix by hand !
    2d696f8e8104d658d0e960c308e99b0d zps01eacbd5 - Food recipes
    Your now ready to pour into the trays! We separate the trays with wax paper so they don't stick together
    1f9592d6e5ea2b813b8007c1fb864818 zps277c126d - Food recipes

da004a15b1dca0355ae3a8b3ace5412a zps431490fc - Food recipes
    We then after it is frozen vacuum pack it to keep it fresh !
    bada481e77cfa6e5a481101903b62011 zpsae86f26e - Food recipes

I recommend rubber gloves because this stuff really smells! This batch made enough to feed our fish and corals for four months and took about 30 min. It is pretty complete feeding for everything. We do use nori for feeding our tangs but this has made feeding very simple and the fish and coral have really responded to it. Looking forward to seeing what others are doing!
    Last edited by binford4000; 05-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Likes creefer liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Well Mrs Binford was looking at this and she brought up a good point. If you look at the picture of supply's it adds up to allot of money! No way people are going to like that. First the picture is of a large food making batch. That much stuff made 26 trays of food which equates to 13 months of food. Total expense was aprox 430.00 which if you break it down is 1.10 per day to feed the fish and all the coral. One cube a day is all it takes. Not bad in my book !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last