[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

found a tree stump while cutting liverock

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default found a tree stump while cutting liverock

well... while i was trying to hack 99% of my blue xenia down i was cutting one of the pieces of rock and smelled a funny smell... decided to chip away at the rock to see what it was and i found a tree stump inside of the piece of liverock! seems very off that this would happen.... but it was in my tank like this. i wonder how it could of got like that? at first i thought it was a bone but i am 99% sure it is a tree stump.

here is a picture:

2011 05 24213832 - found a tree stump while cutting liverock

i outlined it in red to show you where the actual piece is and that there is liverock still attached to it:
    stumpwithredmarks - found a tree stump while cutting liverock

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Could it have been a mangrove?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Could it have been a mangrove?
    ill have to agree its probably a mangrove stump as they do grow like trees and look like them.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

it seems almost to big to be a mangrove stump and it does not branch outward like mangroves do... not saying that is not what it is but it does not look like that to me... i wonder how old it is, which i could do some dating research on it. it is possible that there was once a tree growing and that area flooded and became a reef area over a long period of time resulting in this.

just strange to me, cant say i ever seen a piece of wood in general embedded into a piece of liverock.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    it seems almost to big to be a mangrove stump and it does not branch outward like mangroves do... not saying that is not what it is but it does not look like that to me... i wonder how old it is, which i could do some dating research on it. it is possible that there was once a tree growing and that area flooded and became a reef area over a long period of time resulting in this.

just strange to me, cant say i ever seen a piece of wood in general embedded into a piece of liverock.
    you know how big mangroves can get right?

mangrove0459sm - found a tree stump while cutting liverock

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    you know how big mangroves can get right?

mangrove0459sm - found a tree stump while cutting liverock
    yeah i just always though they had split roots not one central root though right? but it looks like those is just one central root..... could be, what do the cores of them look like... you can see it clearly in the picture that it does not have rings like a normal tree so if the core looks like that then it is probably a mangrove root from however many years ago

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

yeah i just always though they had split roots not one central root though right? but it looks like those is just one central root..... could be, what do the cores of them look like... you can see it clearly in the picture that it does not have rings like a normal tree so if the core looks like that then it is probably a mangrove root from however many years ago
    some of the split roots can be pretty thick, so it might be that as i doubt the roots have rings.

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

ummm kinda looks like a femer bone. from the proximal head near your hip down into the shank of the bone. that would be a little unnerving though.....

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree it looks much more like a bone to me also. Could it be the skeletal base of a big ol euphyllia that was then covered in some other coral after died? I have a digi and a spongodes that have kind of wrapped around each, other there are branches of digi that I know have a core of spongodes skeleton.

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

well... while i was trying to hack 99% of my blue xenia down i was cutting one of the pieces of rock and smelled a funny smell... decided to chip away at the rock to see what it was and i found a tree stump inside of the piece of liverock! seems very off that this would happen.... but it was in my tank like this. i wonder how it could of got like that? at first i thought it was a bone but i am 99% sure it is a tree stump.

here is a picture:

2011 05 24213832 - found a tree stump while cutting liverock

i outlined it in red to show you where the actual piece is and that there is liverock still attached to it:
    stumpwithredmarks - found a tree stump while cutting liverock
    the bottom picture is almost a perfect cross section of what a large femur bone looks like... you sure that it is wood?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last