[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

FREE FRAGS Coral Magazine.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default FREE FRAGS Coral Magazine.

Truly made me think.....Please read!!!

FREE FRAGS! | Coral Magazine
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm thinking someone did something to his corn flakes...
    Likes Captain liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I'm thinking someone did something to his corn flakes...
    ???

Captain - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

Seems a bit over exaggerated.

CR Member

Heavy on emotion, completely lacking anything else. And poorly written. No way to test the veracity of the claim.

Those types of articles are usually met with disbelief, even if true. I've already disregarded it.

-rick

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

"I made a promise to tell the truth about the aquarium industry no matter what I uncovered. I just didn’t realize how deep the water was. The best words I can think of to describe the whole damned industry is International scam!"

Objective journalism clearly is not the authors strong suit. Aside from being horribly written, anyone that maligns every participant within an entire hobby/industry, in my opinion is suspect. I view this as little more than another Snorkel Bob wanna-be sensationalist stringing together as many cliche’s as possible hoping the resulting diatribe will be believed by someone.

Here's another quote of his from a prior article from the same author that is equally telling..

"Please, do not support the killing machines. Ask where they come from. Don’t buy on line or ‘crags list” or “e-bay“. These creatures are not garage sale items, they are living breathing creatures that deserve to be treated better then that some piece of junk in your garage. Some of these live creatures or corals sold online on e-bay and Craig’s list are poached or stolen from other countries, you see them. Why are THEY the “ONLY ONES” with them and why can they give it some cute name and charge $1800 for one eye? BECAUSE IT‘S STOLEN! DO NOT BUY ANYTING FROM THESE COMMON THIEVES!. Boycott them! in all areas and we will stop them. You know who they are, if not, ask or look and see who is selling stolen corals. Let everybody know who they are. We need to talk about it not push it under a rug, JUST because we want one of those corals someday. Wrong is wrong, we need YOUR help with this.. Please lets put an end to the concentration camps around the world."

To summize, according to Mr. Lovewell - every individual and entity (including public aquaria) involved in the marine trade is evil, as is every retail store (LFS) and anyone conducting business via the Internet including eBay or Craigslist.

I am surprised Coral Magazine publishes such drivel...
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 06-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
    Likes jimsflies, Captain liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah...not the kind of quality I would expect from Coral Magazine. They need to demote that guy back to his blog...I wouldn't allow something like that in our Article Forum on CR...and the with a title like that, Coral Magazine seems more like National Coral Enquirer..."Enquiring reefers want to know"

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Let us not forget that it was written on paper made from a tree, that was ripped from it's roots right from the very earth he pretends to watch over. Leaving countless birds, animals and insects homeless. Leaving only a bare spot where there was once was beauty. Loaded on a truck without care or concern, piled on top of and smothered by his fellow trees that met the same fate as he. Oh how many were killed and destroyed to haul him out of the forest. Crying all the way to the mill, screaming in vain as it was chopped up and pushed into the wood chipper. Oh, the inhumanity of all the chemicals prossesed to produce the paper and ink. Spewing fourth into the air a toxic cloud as the processing continues. After this horrific event only to end up in a landfill somewhere rotting and polluting the ground water which will in the end kill the poor mother coral. Way to go John Lovewell!
    Last edited by slapshot; 06-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

Default coral magazine

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Let us not forget that it was written on paper made from a tree, that was ripped from it's roots right from the very earth he pretends to watch over. Leaving countless birds, animals and insects homeless. Leaving only a bare spot where there was once was beauty. Loaded on a truck without care or concern, piled on top of and smothered by his fellow trees that met the same fate as he. Oh how many were killed and destroyed to haul him out of the forest. Crying all the way to the mill, screaming in vain as it was chopped up and pushed into the wood chipper. Oh, the inhumanity of all the chemicals prossesed to produce the paper and ink. Spewing fourth into the air a toxic cloud as the processing continues. After this horrific event only to end up in a landfill somewhere rotting and polluting the ground water which will in the end kill the poor mother coral. Way to go John Lovewell!
    well put sir, this guy completely over exaggerated everything, last time I check im not in this hobby to make money im in it to have something to be proud of and enjoy on a daily basis. Growing a coral reef is not easy and to say that all the people in the industry are evil money hungry monsters is frankly idiotic at the most. sure there are people in the hobby such as he described that "rip mother colonies from there home and sell them for their weight in diamonds" but come on..we aren't all like that. I can honestly say that this hobby is full of more intelligent and awesome people then any other hobby I can think of.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Sometimes it really sucks being new to the world of sw reefing. Especially the market world. I do research to become informed and wind up wondering, who the **** do I listen to??
    Although somewhat embarrassed for posting it, not knowing any better. I'm also glad I did. Once again I have been INFORMED!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last