[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Give me a reason not to give up!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Give me a reason not to give up!

Something is going on and it makes no sense to me. I am about ready to tear the tank down and break it with a hammer!

I got a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Japanese Pistol Shrimp over a week ago. The YWG jumped into the overflow 3-4 times and spent 2 days in my fuge to relax. When I put him back in the tank he hid. I had egg crate over the top and rigged a mesh on the overflow so he could not jump in it again. He hid all night but the next morning I saw him when the Actinics came on. He has not been seen since and the rocks have all been removed to check. No fish, No body. No Carpet surfing either. The Shrimp is still fine.

Now, I started using R/O water for my water changes and top offs this week. I bought a Gold Headed Sleeper Goby. He was very active from the start and sifted my entire DSB in 4 days time. He never hid during the day but slept in his burrow he dug at night. This morning I found him darting about like he was having a seizure and acting like he was trying to jump out. He can't because of the eggcrate. This afternoon his body drifted to the front of the tank....He was dead with his mouth wide open like he had a heart attack. He was not picked on by anyone in the tank. I am sure of that. No marks on him either.

Also, Last night a Kenya Tree shriveled up and died. It's in the main tank. I have another small Kenya Tree in the fuge and it's fine.

My BTA Anemone has been shriveling up during the day everyday for the last week like he is pooping and opening in the evening. So far today, He has not opened up and I think he is dead too.

Lost 2 peppermint Shrimp that I had just bought and the Blue Linkia I bought for my wife also in the last 2 weeks. I have a Green Bubble Coral doing great! Kenya Tree in fuge is great, Xenia is fine, Clove Coral is outstanding, Mushrooms bigger than ever.

All the fish I have had from the start are perfectly fine! a Blue Damsel, A Neon Velvet Damsel and my Gold Striped Maroon Clown. 2 Cleaner Shrimp are fine as well as a Brittle star. No Snails or crabs have died.

I have struggled and pinched pennies since I got hurt to build this reef to help me get through the months of recovery that I may still be facing and all I get is money down the toilet on everything I do except for the things I started with. I can not afford to replace these animals again.

Now before you ask all the animals were Drip acclimated according to the species. The Blue Linkia for almost 3 hours.

My Tank shows the following test results:

Ammonia 0
    Nirites 0
    Nitrates 5
    PH 8.2
    Temp 81.5F

Recent changes are the addition of the Fuge with Chaeto & Caulpera & Coral Feeding with Liquid Life Bio Plankton & Marine Plankton. Also added 1 bottle of TiggerPods to the fuge.

No other changes. Not even food or feeding times. Lighting on timers at the same times as before.

So, Can someone tell me why I should stay in this blasted hobby when everything I want and spent my last dime on keeps dying? They are not even from the same LFS either. Before I will settle for a clown and 2 damsels I will tear the tank down and sell it. I have lost what amounts to alot of money for me being on Workman's Comp only to have it wasted.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

That sucks to hear about your losses.This hobby can be frustrating at times,watching your animals die and not knowing why makes you feel helpless.Don't give up though,you got to take the good with the bad sometimes.Check your alkalinity,salinity, have your new source for RO water tested.Start useing carbon filtration in case a chemical toxin is causing all this.

Oh yea....Forgot about SG: It's 1.024

I am SO sorry to hear about all of these strange losses... it's obvious that you are extremely frustrated (and with good reason), but please don't give up. You've got so much invested in your tank (not only the money), and it would be a shame to just walk away from all that.

I wish I could give some advice on what might be happening, but I'm still too new at this to be of much help. Hopefully, some other folks can help you track down the problem. I just wanted to let you know that you've got lots of people here who care and will stick with you when things are going badly. :color:

Hugs!

It sounds like your tests are really good. Can you think of anything else that could have gotten into the tank? Maybe you had something on your hands? Carbon is a really good idea if you didn't start with RO water and also if some chem got in there accidentially.
    Public Affairs Officer
    Saltwater Addicts of Maine
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Saltwater Tanks:
    120 Gallon mixed reef
    20 Gallon frag tank

Quote Originally Posted by Fally
    It sounds like your tests are really good. Can you think of anything else that could have gotten into the tank? Maybe you had something on your hands? Carbon is a really good idea if you didn't start with RO water and also if some chem got in there accidentially.
    Well, As I said before.....All my original livestock is fine. Even delicate corals are fine. 2 Cleaner Shrimp and the pistol shrimp are fine. Crabs are fine. Feather duster and even the delicate Electric Flame Scallop is fine.

That's what has me baffled and today just may be the day I take a Hammer to the %^&* thing.

EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Could it be possible for you to have a stray electrical current that occaisionally zaps through the tank from a pump or light that is starting to go down hill?

Quote Originally Posted by EQCM2B
    Could it be possible for you to have a stray electrical current that occaisionally zaps through the tank from a pump or light that is starting to go down hill?
    Of course anything is possible but I have my hand/arm in the tank often and I think I would have noticed this if so. The hard way I am sure.

Also, From everything I have read.....Electricity in the tank will not hurt anything in the tank unless it's an arm of something else that is grounded to the floor.

The Kenya Tree that looked dead is alive again today. No further losses but as I said, I don't want to keep a tank going with only 3 fish.

Anybody have any nice fish (YWG or Mandarin) you want to sell really cheap and ship to Florida?

I am still very frustrated with this thing. Sit and stare at all morning and it is making it worse.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

CHALLENGE!!! As discouraging as it may seem, for me, it's quite frankly my own personal world and I am God. My task includes making the proper conditions for creating life. If it were easy(as I have seen time and again with some who have the $$$ to dump into a whole, complete, well equiped system) and there were no challenge nor stumps such as yours, the whole endeavor may become boring. My suggestions: ground your system, no more additions for a while(then add some slowly as the tank becomes"healthy" again), and take things slowly... PATIENCE. A great many of us feel your pain and have dealt with similar frustrations... some have quit(maybe this hobby isn't for them... is it for you???), some have enured far more than us, and some have a successful aquarium. I hope you don't quit and encourage you to relax as much as possible to let things just grow as they are and enjoy what your efforts are creating naturally. Slowly add thing here and there as the system looks like it may benefit from a new resident or addition. Good luck and happy reefing.

Jason
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

:goodpost:

Rapto will stated and i total agree with the no $$ challenge
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last