[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Going down hill fast! Help!!

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Going down hill fast! Help!!

I'm sick to my stomach pretty much cried all day. Dilly hasn't eaten all day for the very first time since I've had him. Upon closer inspection his fins look frayed and whitish around the edges. His tail actually has a thin spot on it. One of my fire fishes fins don't look so good either. Thought that may have been from tussling with the other one. Now I'm not so sure.
    I'm thinking, Fin Rot! I wouldn't be surprised as my tanks condition has gone down hill with all the frozen feedings. Water changes every 10 days apparently not enough.

Please someone tell me I can save these guys. What is the treatment for salt water fin rot. I'm only familiar with FW treatments. Need I remove Dilly? There's no way I can remove the FF.
    Last edited by MizTanks; 07-20-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I wish I could help best of luck Jamie.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    I wish I could help best of luck Jamie.
    Thank you Larry, I wish you could too. I got so damn caught up in making sure Dilly was eating, I didn't realize how much/fast it would all affect my tank. More WC are called for, for sure.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

You need to test your parameters and tell us what they are. Particularly ammonia and nitrite. Sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning.

I second that opinion. If you quickly improve water quality the fins will likely heal on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    You need to test your parameters and tell us what they are. Particularly ammonia and nitrite. Sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Did 6g WC just yesterday. Tested all levels this a.m. No2/No3 and ammonia=.0-Ca=440-Alk=8.4-Mag=1400 and Ph=8.2
    All other fish are fine. No gasping, eating well and active. Corals all looking great, clam is good too.
    Checked on Dilly and he's still alive and moving about. Still hasn't come out yet this morning to be fed. I can only hope.....

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Did you test the nitrite? It could be elevated if you had an ammonia spike. If you fixed whatever was wrong, and I still say ammonia poisoning, he should recover. Mandrians are not bothered by most skin issues, that and the fin description leads me to think ammonia, as it literally burns the fish.

It could be the water change corrected whatever was causing it, for now. I would check it every 12 hours for the day or so just to be sure the ammonia isn't rising. Don't over feed the tank trying to get him to eat.

It could also just be his time. We have no idea at what real age we get our charges. Watching one die is an unfortunate part of the hobby. Sometimes it just is, through no fault of yours.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Dilly came right from ORA. He's less then a year old

On another note. I just tested my RO/DI top off water. It's a 5g food grade clear bucket. TDS readings with 2gs left is 9.

Should I add a ph to the bucket? Would this be the cause of this:
    639cc300 f800 a336 - Going down hill fast! Help!!
    639cc300 f813 de72 - Going down hill fast! Help!!

I've changed out 17gs of water from my tank since the 4th.
    TDS from RO/DI unit is 0
    Last edited by MizTanks; 07-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.