[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Good store to get my set up.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    rooster1964 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Default Good store to get my set up.

Hi everyone, my wife and I are contemplating starting our first reef tank. We are looking for a good store to purchase our tank and equipment to get started. We are in Grand Blanc and have a few stores in our area with nice people but a very limited selection of equipment. We are not interested in cheaping out but don't want to get hosed either. Any advice would surely be helpful.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Try Great Lakes Aquariums or Pruess pets. I have had my last four tanks built by GLA!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!
    Likes ebushrow liked this post

First Name
    Randy

Thanks Larry, we planned on heading that way this weekend. Priced a 92g corner at Preuss, wow! Think we'll shop around some.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I am also in the Flint area, and I can tell you that equipment can be hard to find locally. There are options for tanks at Reef Paradise, but Andy as most of the other quality fish stores has decided to focus mostly on livestock. If you know what you want, talk to Andy, I am sure he can get what you want, at a good price if you don't mind waiting for an order to come in.

Also, this is a great time to shop the used forums, as the weather warms people tend to sell of some stuff they are no longer using.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Have you spoken to Andy at Reef Paradise? I don't think he stocks lots of equipment, but he can get it all. Explain to him what you want to do, and I am sure he will take care of you. Down the road, when you have questions, and you will..., he will be intimately familiar. Plus, it's wise to support your local retailers.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Sorry for the redundancy, Mike and I must have been typing at the same time...

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

LOL! That's funny, at least we both gave the same type of information.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

The Fish Doctors Ypsilanti is really just a short trip down the freeway.

Competetive pricing (including internet price matching on most things) and great stock. Not to mention a good used selection most of the time. They are happy to work with you over the phone too, till you get a deal worked out and get set up, before you make the trip. Dont forget to mention captive reefs-

The forums are a great resource too. You can get a nice set up with a little searching and some gas money.

First Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    LOL! That's funny, at least we both gave the same type of information.
    We were at Reef Paradise this past weekend and talked to Ashley, think that was her name, she was extremely helpful we will definitely do our shopping there. We are looking to get a 92g corner tank Preuss quoted us five grand for the setup so were looking for a used one.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I am quite sure Andy's tank supplier can do a 92 corner as well. If I may, offer a bit of advice, those odd shaped tanks look neat in the store, but they offer some serious limitations with lighting, flow and sump space as well. Have you considered a cube? It would take up marginally more floor space, and open up T5 lighting options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last