[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hair algae only in frag tank?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Frag plugs and eggcrate likely contain phosphates...or something else that seems to be a spot that algae likes to grow. I had this issue with racks and plugs when I've had them in my display.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

not using eggcrate.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

What are you using? Just rocks on the sand or bottom?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

eshopps mag frag racks for right now, untill i can get money to get a blue glow.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

My guess is that "plastic" in general has phosphates in some usable form and algae finds it.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

If that is true, and it is unstable, then it would leach into the water column and affect the entire system and the algae would prolifertae in both tanks. Just a thought.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of the algae. I would suspect that what you have is Bryopsis and none of the above information although well intended will cure the problem. Bryopsis is often mistaken for hair algae and is the most common found growing on plugs in frag tanks such as yours. Especially in the event it is growing in your frag tank only. Bryopsis can grow at very low nutrient level so starving it out can be very difficult. However there is a simple and easy fool proof method for eliminating it. Please post a pic of the algae and we can cure your problem quite quickly, easily and with very little expense.
    It is also worth noting that if your using ceramic frag plugs they are not the problem. They simply provide a suitable substrate for the algae to adhere to. Live rock would also provide the same suitable substrate. The acrylic racks are not the problem either. Some agrocrete plugs may cause issues but that is another discussion.
    Last edited by schminksbro; 08-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I would be very interested in seeing a picture of the algae. I would suspect that what you have is Bryopsis and none of the above information although well intended will cure the problem. Bryopsis is often mistaken for hair algae and is the most common found growing on plugs in frag tanks such as yours. Especially in the event it is growing in your frag tank only. Bryopsis can grow at very low nutrient level so starving it out can be very difficult. However there is a simple and easy fool proof method for eliminating it. Please post a pic of the algae and we can cure your problem.
    i didn't any pics of it and have already cleaned it off of my frag plugs.... if it comes back ill take pictures of it.

what is the solution for bryopsis? i heard higher mag makes it go away.

Bryopsis has a "feathery" appearance while Green Hair Algae has a "hairy" appearance. Raising you magnesium levels to 1500ppm with Kent Tech M magnesium supplement will eliminate bryopsis very quickly. The bryopsis will simply die off. You can then return the mag level back to 1250-1280. Once eliminated the bryopsis will not come back unless you reintroduce it.
    If it is truly hair algae then you must eliminate phosphate. I seriously doubt this is the problem due to the fact the algae doesn't occur in the display. A phosphate test kit is useless in the case of hair algae also due to the fact that the algae will bind the PO4 and make it undectable for a hobby grade test kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    i didn't any pics of it and have already cleaned it off of my frag plugs.... if it comes back ill take pictures of it.

what is the solution for bryopsis? i heard higher mag makes it go away.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    alright so i plumbed in a 20g frag tank into my main system. Run a quite one 3000 return on it and a koralia 1050 as flow.

what i can't figure out is why HA is only growing in my frag tank and not my display?!?! and its only growing on the frags....

the only thing i can think of is maybe the bulbs are bad? but they shouldn't be that old...any ideas?

im getting sick of taking frags out and brushing them with a tooth brush to remove the algae growing over the plugs....

Forgot to ask you, how long ago did the bloom began?

Changing those bulbs won't hurt regardless of your issue, just be sure to change one at a time.

If you can, I'd grab that book I mentioned.

If indeed you do have Bryopsis, you will also possibly have elevated levels of Ammonia and Nitrites. Have you checked those levels? If the main is a mature system, you shouldn't have these high readings.

According to J. Sprung, this type of algae is not highly palatable for most herbivore fish, with the exception of maybe the Rabbitfish. It is however palatable for Diadema and Tuxedo Urchins, Sea Slugs and Mithraculus crabs. He also recommend strong biological filtration which will deter it's growth.

Good luck with whatever you do and I'm sure it will work out for you.

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last