[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hard time picking tank

Bookmark and Share
    CashFan83 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nathan

Default Hard time picking tank

Did'nt recieve any help on M.R.'s so I figured I would try copying and pasting to see if I can get any help here.

I have a mated pair of plain jane occy's They host their anemonea and everyone is happy except for the anemonea. Having a hard time getting the flow right for everyone so I am looking at giving them their own tank. I know when you get a tank everyone says bigger is better but we are limited by area to a footprint of less then 36 inches. I like the cubes but the wife does'nt like the cost so we have settled on the marineland half moon shaped tanks as the style she would like and I can deal with. They make a 10,20, and 30. Other then more frequent water changes being a pain with smaller tanks. I am wondering what size tank would be sufficient for the clowns, their nem, and maybe a goby(like the mini watchmen that F. Drs. have)/shrimp combo? The 20 or the 30? That or if I can find a complete set up for under 300 bucks that would make her happy too.

MonsterTankMan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Richard

I'd go 30 gallon if thats the only option.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Definitely go with the 30. Are you planning on breeding? I think the other tanks will be to small for the pair and there nem.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Either would probably work. But the 30 would have more sand bed space for the shrimp/goby combo... so that's my vote.

Tom

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Either would probably work. But the 30 would have more sand bed space for the shrimp/goby combo... so that's my vote.

Tom
    Yup, 30...as you said, bigger is always better

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If you dont get the 30 now, and go with the lesser tank, you will just end up with the 30 in the long run.....save yourself some $$, do it right, and get the 30 the first time.

First Name
    Nathan

Just a matter of finding the right tank now then as my 65g has a 36x18 footprint so the wife really wants the other one to be smaller been trying to get ahold of a couple people who have cubes or close enough to cubes in the 32g range. Have to make some more inquires and calls I guess.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great lakes makes an awsome 34 gallon cubish tank, for an even greater price!

18"x24"x18"

The dimensions would look nice in the same room as a 36" 65G tank.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

And I have a short stand for it....and possibly a canopy- and you could have those free if you need them. Light pine.

First Name
    Nathan

Thanks chris I may have to take you up on that as we have looked at and I have like their tank, I just thought their canopy and and stand prices were a bit high so it may work out best that way.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

I agree on the 30 if that's the only option. A 60 cube is 24x24x24. It looks like a small tank... very deceiving. That's a very common cube size, so you might be able to find one used if you can work with that space.