[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

help, getting white spots on my live rock and live sand

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default help, getting white spots on my live rock and live sand

I'm getting white spots on my LR along with a growth of macro Alge thats rooting to the lr just wondering if I should be worried at all? I attached some photos of it, sorry about the damsil it was his feeding time so he kept getting into the shots you can see the growth of alge on this rock, I'm hoping that's the good stuff :D as well as the white spots? what is that? here you get a better view of it off one of my other LR
    this is the best shot I could get of the alge its to small and my camera doesn't want to take pictures, gee I might as well just use my regular slr camera... and here's the last shot of it
    I'm not to worried about the alge but the spots are worring me, I had the water tested two days ago and had perfect numbers across the board my ammonia was a little up by I think 1 on the test they did. And the salinity is at between 1.023 and 1.024ppm with a gravity of 32 (why do I have a feeling I mixed up salinity and gravity ah well)
    Does anyone know what this is and have any advice if its bad?
    I'm not sure if this is dieoff some sort of calcium buildup or something else going into my lfs tomorow to test calcium levels
    Been setup for approx 2 months
    Equip:
    30 gallon long
    2 Biowheel 180s no biowheel in them
    2 Maxijet 330 powerhead
    2 24" 2x65watt Coral Life Lites
    4 live rocks weighing in at 20lbs and 40lbs of Live Sand
    as far as topoff water I do tapwater that sits in a tub for about 5 days once I get the mixture just right leaving it at 1.023-1.024 for the original fill water I filled the tank a month before putting anything in it and setup the mixtures then started adding in the LS and after that the LR. which by the way I did not include in my setup time so the tank has been setup for around 3 months to date with water and stuff in it

The spots are kinda circular on there but its worrying me a little bit
    I like da fish

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you're looking at those little conical/flattened spots, no worries... they're just the beginning life forms that will eventually fade away(may return in diff areas from time to time).
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Those spiral shaped white dots are indeed a lifeform(I think they're related to snails).They are common in newly setup reefs and their growth will eventually subside.They scrape off the glass easily and Urchins will also get rid of them if they become a bother.The macro(plant like algae) on the LR is common with new LR,my LFS orders Fiji LR that is covered in macro because it ships better than bare LR.Often,it will die off when placed in new tanks but in your case,the tap water being used could be fueling its growth.Some macro can be easily pruned back but i have found certain Caulerpa spp. to be extremely invasive.I am a firm believer in no macro in a reef tank because of that although some prefer it.If you cant get an RO/DI filter,LFS will usually sell you top-off water.Distilled water from the grocery store is another alternative(dont use Spring/drinking water).I used bottled water from the grocery for a yr before i bought my RO/DI.

ah hokies, I'll do that, it's kinda hard to get a ro/di system in here because the tank is upstairs and the sink for the house is downstairs about the only thing I have in house is one of those brita filter things, I didn't know if that would be bad or not
    I like da fish

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

well you guys answer one of my Q on water (hinkly drinking that is) its ano no
    :: hummer :nemo

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

ok well i can't see the pictures for some reason and ur post is jarbled with vb code but by what you are describing that the white dots if they are indeed a spiral, these are copepod homes which is a great thing. I added a bunch of pods to my fuge and now those dots are everywhere and my mandarin is very happy. I have actually watched the pods go in and out of these spirals.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Ungarbled now.... no pics were attached to the thread
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

the white spiral shapes are cirlanoid (sp) worms, they are one of the first critters you get growing in the tank. that was the first trhings I saw growing on the back of my 150 my urchins loved them.
    fulltankshot 1 - help, getting white spots on my live rock and live sand

The white spiral shaped specs that you see in your tank are called spirorbid worms. They can extend the tiniest of featherduster-like feeding tentacles.

Do NOT use a Brita water pitcher for your tank water. Last I read, it uses silver as part of the filtration system. You don't want metals in the water.

If you get an RO/DI unit, hook it up downstairs. Get yourself some 5g jugs from your LFS (Local Fish Store) and lug them upstairs as needed. It won't be comfortable, but it is that or some interesting plumbing perhaps.

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

do u have a bathroom or wash room of any kind upstairs? you can get the valves and parts at your local plumbing store and tap into pretty much anywhere, even the cold side of a water heater etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last