[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help with my very first saltwater tank please

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adam_anzivino
    So your saying to take the filter screens out when I add my live rock; keep the water flow going tho? The difference between uncured and cured- cured rock is the rock thats already been in a saltwater tank? Because thats what they have for offer at the store is a bunch of lumps of rock by themselves in a 55 gal tank. Another question if you don't mind, How many lbs. should I start off with? Thanks again, -Adam

If you don't mind I would like to copy and past this to your thread or you can if you would like. But to answer you question yes use the filter for water flow, it would even be helpful to add some LR rubbel (small peices of live rock) in the filter so it would work like a small refugium. I would start off with about a pound a gallon and then add untill you like how the tank looks. You should ask if the rock is cured or not as it takes a few weeks to cure the rock after it is placed in an aquarium. "cureing" is the process of letting all the stuff on the rock that died in transport decay and go thru the "cycle". any more questions please let me know.

Thanks again for the help! I'm going to pick up a couple of live rocks and let that cycle for a week this weekend and i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. (and i do have a digital camera so i'll be posting pics when i get batterys) -Adam

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Sounds like a plan bud!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Welcome to Captive Reefing! Looks like you've gotten a good handle on things... we can't wait to hear more from you and see pictures of your new tank!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2