[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

red algae

Bookmark and Share

Default red algae

I have red algae in my tank. What are the causes? I have added red slime remover to my tank with no avail. I have placed 1/2 container of phosban to my 60 gallon tank. Any suggestions? Also I have aptasia growing in my ecosystem with the calupera that I recently added. Is that going to migrate to my big tank?

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

white kind of red algae? bubble, hair or cyano? if it's cyano the red slime remover will work but you have to turn off your skimmer for about 2-3 days.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

the best thing to do is cut down on you lights and reduce your feeding. that worked for me.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

thanks for the info. Also I have these gray balls that are attached to the rock(2 of them). They are shiny and look gross like something from another planet. Is that algae? Also I have string and red slime algae. I tried the red slime remover but nothing happened. Can I use it how frequently? Thanks for any input

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

I would try to siphon out as much as possible with a 10%-20% water change twice a week until it is gone. The aptaisia will spread everywhere in the experiences I've had with them. I have had good luck with peppermint shrimp(lysmata wurdmani) I don't have a book with me so definitely check the spelling on the shrimp. Good luck, Andy

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

oh and thats what i forgot is the water changes.. your going to need to do them because of the red slime remove and then keep doing them like at stated.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

without pics it is hard to know what you mean by the "balls" but if they are bubble algae do not pop them or they will spread all over! use a vacuum to draw the material out as you scrape them off just in case and that will keep them from spreading..... also turn off all the pumps first.
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

thanks for the info. my algae is decreasing after h20 changes. The bubble algae are still there. I will be careful with their removal. It is difficult to vacuum up since are near some coral.