[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help - New tank is here...

Bookmark and Share

Default Help - New tank is here...

My beautiful tank is here all set up and looking SHARP! I do have one problem that is giving me trouble. I'm sure I am just too excited to think of a reasonable solution, so I REALLY could use some help!

My husband arranged to have everything delivered and set up. They left me the rock, sand, and water so that I could give the tank my own personal touch like I wanted them to. Well, I got a beach blanket, laid it out in the middle of the room and spread all the rock out to look for the enormous base pieces I had picked out. They weren't there. I looked at the rock more closely... there were a few rocks that I had picked out, but the rest weren't there. There were several more "small" rocks than I had wanted, and my massive 25lb. main base rock was nowhere to be seen. I pulled out the scale and started weighing. I had picked out 99.5 lbs of rock, but there was only 49 lbs in that box.

Now here's the issue: I had planned to do a DSB. I was going to put the largest rock pieces down first, add the sand, and then finish my aquascaping.

Should I just go SSB, toss the rock I have in the tank, and get the rest of my rock tomorrow? If I don't get the rock wet it's as good a base rock by morning. (I don't have another place to keep it wet...)

Please excuse my lack of ideas here... I was so excited, and this has just thrown me off kilter! I really appreciate any suggestions or other options you all can come up with!

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

well my 2 cents worth is this place the sand lay the rock get it wet and beat the lfs tomorrow when you get the rest of your rock

i know its prolly not what ya wanna do but only thing i can think of

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

If you don't have anywhere to keep it wet I'd get it in the tank ASAP, or you could cover it with wet newspaper, you will still have some die off, but nearly as bad as leaving it to dry overnight.

BTW where is the rest of your rock and where is it coming from?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thank you for the help!

I forgot to mention that one reason for the DSB was because I want a jawfish and/or some other burrowing fish and wanted them to have room to dig. That would mean I would need a rock base before adding the sand, so I don't end up with a collapse later.

All of the rock I had hand picked from my LFS, so the rest of it must still be there. I called and let them know what the situation was, and they said they would do whatever necessary to make this right.

Would the rock be okay in the tank with water but no heat or circulation? I can put it in tonight and pull it out tomorrow... it'll just be hard. I am short and need a step ladder. Even with the extra lift, I still can't touch the bottom!

(BTW, I searched all the rock and found 3 maragrita snails. They seem okay after being out of water since this morning and are currently doing their snail stuff in my 10g!)

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

get a trash can 32 gallon, 6 or 7 bucks at wally world. put ur saltwater and rock in there. get a power head also at wally world, 10 bucks maybe and a cheap heater for over night. my guess is u may already have this stuff laying around. thing of it is...why do it twice when you can do it right the first time. I hate waiting to but it will be well worth it in the end.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

yeah they should be fine in the tank with no heat over night. when I moved my tank. I had hermit crabs live in an inch of water overnight with no circ or no heat and they were fine
    fulltankshot 1 - Help - New tank is here...

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have to apologize... I think I over-reacted to the situation. I was just SO excited about everything and was SO looking forward to aquascaping that this "bump" threw me off big time. The rock is now in the tank with 20 gallons of water (just enough to cover it). I will go to the store tomorrow and get another 50lbs. of rock, maybe more. I have to say that this baby is going to be so purty when it's done!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

THIS THREAD NEEDS PICS!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it!!
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

No Joe... This thread doesn't need pics, lol.

I took some quick shots and will start a new one with a better title!

Wait... I don't know where to start the thread!
    <insert insane cackle here...>

This certainly isn't a DIY thread, LOL!!!