[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need help with aiptasia

Bookmark and Share
    Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default need help with aiptasia

my tank is slowly getting out ran from aiptasia and my pepermint shrimp is no where to be found and out of kalwasser, how else can i kill them? there starting to sting some of my high end corals, need help asap. can really go to the store right now to get anything so somthing else then just buying somthing tho
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

i WOULD BUY A BERGIA NUDIBRANCH.

CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards March Madness Award - 2012 March Madness Winner

I have a Scat that mows them too. I also haven't had much luck with the peps and lack the ability to kill them inside the tank with syringes.

Everybody has a suggestion - I tried quite a few, but the scat ate them in about 2 weeks.

Tropical Buff - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bart
    Blog Entries

A scat is the ticket. Quite a few years back I went to LFS and they guy showed me how good the scat can take care of those annoying things. He did this by just taking a piece of rock from another tank that had a few aptasia growing and adding it to the tank with the scat and litterally in less than a minute the rock was picked clean. I have never seen anything like it.

The only downside is that a Scat is not a fish you would want to keep long term they are hyper as can be. One of the LFS should offer a rental program on them LOL
    Likes ebushrow liked this post

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by spartyblaze View Post
    I have a Scat that mows them too. I also haven't had much luck with the peps and lack the ability to kill them inside the tank with syringes.

Everybody has a suggestion - I tried quite a few, but the scat ate them in about 2 weeks.
    I all so use a scat best way hands down and it allso gives u a little story to tell when people ask what the heck is that silver fish as it is a fresh water fish that lives in bracksh water and is easly switch to pure salt

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Buff View Post
    A scat is the ticket. Quite a few years back I went to LFS and they guy showed me how good the scat can take care of those annoying things. He did this by just taking a piece of rock from another tank that had a few aptasia growing and adding it to the tank with the scat and litterally in less than a minute the rock was picked clean. I have never seen anything like it.

The only downside is that a Scat is not a fish you would want to keep long term they are hyper as can be. One of the LFS should offer a rental program on them LOL
    I must have a lazy one as it hides a lot lol
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

CR Member
    First Name
    mike

Corvette sent u a pm

skuttduck - Reefkeeper CR Member

My scat ate my xenia, he does not seem to touch the aptasia.

I have a few aptasia, but I have been able to kill them with a syringe and lemon juice in the past.

If I have those stubborn ones, the best thing that will kill them is to boil some water, add some Mrs. Wages pickling lime (cheap DIY Kalkwasser) and then inject that into that. The heat and the kalk will kill them good.

Good luck!

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

soo i looked into those zappers, and realized actually its just very simple electrolysis, metal here metal there and a switch for the electricity soo im actually gona make one, and i even already have the power supply so its gona be free, woahhh i loovvvvee me my chemistry class!
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Reefer View Post
    soo i looked into those zappers, and realized actually its just very simple electrolysis, metal here metal there and a switch for the electricity soo im actually gona make one, and i even already have the power supply so its gona be free, woahhh i loovvvvee me my chemistry class!
    Just ap heads up them zappets are junk used it a few diff times and they alll ways come back with way more take a few days for them to come back but they all wayd do
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2