[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

help with slime on zoanthids!

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

+1. If you're doing everything almost right for a long time, the 2% that you're doing wrong will eventually become a problem.

Macros will help to use the excess nutrients in the water and eventually starve out the bad algae.

CR Member

remember, the algae is going to be using the phosphate all day, so just becasue you do not see any in a test does not mean it is not there. Test in the morning or even try in the middle of the night when the photo cycle is reversed. You or someone mentioned water changes, I have never seen a response to what parms you are testing for. Do you test your replacement water before you use it?

This looks like algae and until you get a handle on the food source, it will not go away

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

I changed the thread title to this post to help get better answers so please do not be confused by it.

I have not read through it fully yet but i get this from time to time on my plugs, the hair algae is usually caused from bad made plugs. the slime sometimes is the zoanthid actually shedding its outer skin layer, leathers do this as well. a lot of times you can just scrape it off or use a turkey baster to blow it off if it is shedding enough. usually takes about 2 weeks to fully shed.

Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

Another point. Are you using an RO/DI system? If not, there's your problem. If you are, how long has it been since the filters were changed? If your RO/DI system isn't working well you're probably getting excess nutrients (phosphates/nitrates) from your water supply.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

yep I have a RO system built into my sink, I know when the filters need to be changed because the water will have a sulfur or egg smell because I get well water where I live. also this isnt happening to just one plugs its happening to all of them. I was considering taking all my zoos out of my 55g and putting them in the 15g where I could enjoy them more. But then I thought maybe that stupid slime would get into my 15g which is in pristine condition at the moment. Also another thing to note: while all this slime crap is getting on my coral there has been no build up of things on the glass its perfectly clean.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Regarding RO filter changes, I'm not sure the nose test is your best bet. Ideally you should have a TDS meter to check your RO performance. I'd also say that the sulfur smell may be more indicative of the carbon stage needing to be changed than the RO membrane itself.

Given that its not in your 15 gallon, it may not be the RO filter.

Regardless of the reason (bioload, RO unit, etc.), you can add some phosphate media in a filter sock to your sump and also mix it with some carbon. It won't hurt and will likely help. Change it out weekly for a few weeks and see if it helps.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Those polyps look unhappy, pinched and the algea looks more like a bacteria/fungus to me....possibly an infection?

How are these polyps doing? Any updates?

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

Ok, Im thinking about getting a reactor and putting some GFO into it, that should remove phosphates I believe.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

The carbon you are using in BRS Lignite carbon. The slime looks to be bacteria likely fed by phosphate. I would take a turkey baster and blow it off the polyps while you are preparing to combat the problem with a reactor and GFO.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Also try scrubbing the polyps off with a very soft toothbrush. Waiting for it to die off without treating the polyps while trying to address water quality will likely result in the loss of the polyps.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2