[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Herbie Plumbing & Return Plumbing...Lots of q's.

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Angela

Default Return Plumbing Questions

This is my first drilled tank with sump. The sump will sit below the tank in the stand. I set up the tank/sump/plumbing outside as a test and had a few issues. I'm using a herbie overflow for the drains, and an over the top return.

The return line was setup with 3/4" ID tubing and the siphon break was very quick. I switched it out to the 3/4" OD tubing to add the quick release valve and now it takes several minutes before that last little trickle stops. Is this to be expected?

How do most/some/anyone secure flexible return line? If I go with the larger tubing the quick release valve I have won't fit as designed, what can I use above the return pump, so servicing the pump is easier?

Here's a picture of the quick release valve. It had no labels, so I don't know the manufacturer or where to find a similar one. Any idea where I can find a replacement as this one is now leaking.
    Name:  i-ghw5gfR-S.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  20.3 KB

Also, how to secure or support the ball valve. I've read several threads where they highly recommend supporting them, but not how.
    Last edited by Gryhund; 08-26-2015 at 05:35 PM.

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Go to Home Depot and buy a valve and some hose barbs. Is there hole in the return nozzle for an air break to stop the suction?
    240 gal. Miracles, 3x 1.5" Beananimal overflow, 60 gal. Frag tank, 120 gal sump. Skimmer: SRO XT5000 EXT, Return Pump: Reeflow Hammerhead Gold Hybrid. Reef Dynamic Biopellet reactor, GEO 6x12 Ca reactor. Lights: 9x AI Sol Blue. Controller: Apex, 40 gal QT

CR Member
    First Name
    Angela

There is a pair of holes in the return to stop a back siphon. That was the first thing I did.

I ended up giving up on having it all soft plumbed, and picked up a union to glue in between the pump and the tubing. It was being able to easily disconnect and remove the pump that I was trying to accomplish.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm not familiar with the term herbie overflow. Is that a brand name or another design? Seems like "Durso" is the one I had heard of before.

But I think you have the right idea with hard plumbing. I like those zip tie pads that have adhesive on them to help secure items to the tank...that might have worked with a flex line. All of those disconnects and unions work harder in practice than you think they will...be sure to leave enough room behind the tank to get your hands in there. I have also used the flexible PVC piping before as well.

CR Member
    First Name
    Angela

The most basic difference, Durso = 1 drain line, Herbie = 2 drain lines, and BeanAnimal = 3 drain lines. Of course there are a lot of differences beyond that.

Do you know if the zip tie mounts are usually available at the local home improvement type stores? Those look easier to reuse in tight spaces then the hard conduit clips.

Thanks for the heads up ie. disconnects & unions. I have all my disconnects under the tank, so I may be in for a work out when I try to undo anything for the first time. Because of my limited space I'm trying to double check I have enough room to actually use one of the unions and it isn't blocked by the union on the ball valve. A basement sump is starting to look good right now (completely unrealistic).