[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New pump to strong!!!

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default New pump to strong!!!

Ok, I upgraded my tank, all is well accept my flow.

I purchased a new pump, but the pump is way to powerful in my 125. It is putting water at the opposite end of the tank and stirring up the sand bed!

I tried putting a valve on the line between the refugium and the pump, but that creates a ton of airbubbles and still puts water/bubbles at the opposite end of the tank.

I tried putting a second valve between the return line and the tank, but still no go....

Anyone have some tips on how to plumb this pump to control the flow some without creating massive amounts of airbubbles?

The pump is a Pan World NH-250PS (roughly 1900 GPH).
    The tank is a non-RR tank with an overflow box, that just can't pull out that much water. I have a second overflow box, but the way it can pump water if I have my overflows keeping up it will put all the sand and frags at the opposite end of the tank.

Any input is appreciated, as I have already put water all over my living room.. it blew part of the line out and sent water across the living room, I couldn't help but laugh at that.
    The nice thing to know is that if I screw this up, I know what is for dinner.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

maybe redirect some of the return flow to the sump ?? or add more outlets around the top of the display. the Calfo closed loop system seems to work great with a lot of people in my local reef club. i will explain this in more detail when i get home from work today !!

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

When the valve to the fuge is open you are getting air bubbles in the tank? How many return lines are you running to the tank? you may want to add multiple returns and place a valve on each to control your flow,(split it to 4 returns) I would also keep the main valve in place then split off your additional reuturns. The extra valves will only assist in your flow control.

It might just be too much pump for a return. You probably only want 600GPH or so going through your sump. Put the Pan-World on a closed loop and get a smaller pump for the return.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

well i guess i don't really need to say anything more on this subject. looks like you guys got it al taken care of.

CR Member

Well I got it plumbed and I can control the flow, but it is putting out massive amounts of microbubbles. The water has a whiteish color there are so many microbubbles. The water going into the pump is free of microbubbles, but somehwere between going into the pump and going into the tank there are tons of bubbles....

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

There is air coming in somewhere, shut down each section if you can and see where they are coming in.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by chrisl1 View Post
    There is air coming in somewhere, shut down each section if you can and see where they are coming in.
    Chris has it dead on, what are you using for plumbing? PVC, hose? Either way check all connecting points. What about the valve you are using? Ballvalve or gate? Some ball valves have a cheapo gasket material that will allow air to be drawn in via the venturi effect created by the restriction, but they won't leak water out. <--- learned that one the hard way, drove me crazy for months until I found it.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

I gave up and called it quits. I put my old pump back in place with the old pipes and no issues. I think my pump is just too much for my sump/tank... now I have a Pan world 250 $320 pump sitting in the closet and no where to put it. Maybe I will put it on my tub upstairs for a jet tub :D