[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

hey im starting a 75 gal need help

Bookmark and Share

Default hey im starting a 75 gal need help

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok i just got a 75 tank and thats it im going to make it a reef tank but i want to know everything i need to get it started Including names of brands that are great to use any help would be appreciated thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

wow that's really broad... can you narrow things down a little as to what you are looking to set up? ie... sump and or refuge. What you're planning on for lighting and what you want to keep.... stuff like that will help narrow some of the options down and folks can throw their nickels worth in.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Start with reading all the post hear that you can that will give you some ideal
    of the questions you wont to ask.
    Look for post on skimmers- lighting-sumps-coral
    And after post your questions about each one you will get a lot of help
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Research the following
    Water chemistry
    Tank Cycle
    Live Rock
    Tank Bed
    This will give you some of the basics and a starting point.
    Verify everything the LFS tells you before spending the money. You can ask here
    Last Patience Patience patience

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well i wanna have some corals so i guess i will need some lighting for them and an angel and some hardy fish like clowns and some fish from the damsel family idk anything about filters and thats where i get confused b/c right now i have and 30 gal with a top fin 30 power filter but idk know how sump, wet dry and refug or whatever those things are could you explain the best type of filter for my new 75 gal#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would pick up yourself a good book and go from there and just pick one topic at a time and research it till you get familliar and then move on to the next one. in this hobby starting out is the hardest time. The only advice I can give you is 1. most important- be patient tht will pay off huge in the long run, dont get in a hurry.
    2. buy the best equipment you can afford to start off with, dont skimp, if you do you will only end up buying the stuff later on down the road or if you like to do stuff yourself your in the right spot. this forum has some of the best do it yourselfers I have ever seen.
    3. do not be afraid to ask questions, that is what this forum is about is to help everyone out.

good luck
    fulltankshot 1 - hey im starting a 75 gal need help

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

As far as a filter most myself included don't use a mechanical filter just
    the live rock and a sump
    A sump is just a tank under your tank divided up for more rock sand and equipment
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Angels and coral + problems so I woul dsuggest staying away from them

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Here is a great thread that practically walks through a tank setup, it's like 6 pages long but some great info in it... that should give you some ideas.

http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=571
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a great book... it gives all kinds of info on setup, maintenance, and stocking, plus lots of details on a wide variety of marine specimens, including what to look for before purchase, behavior, feeding, reproduction, and disease.

I wish I had read this book BEFORE I got into the hobby... it would have saved me a lot of work and heartache!

Congrats on your decision to go salt! Keep us posted on your progress!